PDA

View Full Version : Does she have mites?

Does she have mites?

Emmanuel.S
06-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Well, i was handling my baby female motley the other day when i noticed that one of her nostrils was black.
Sheshed and it went away. now its back but i dont know if its a birthmark-maybe? or mites
thanks and please pass on any info that you know about mites

medusacoils
06-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Maybe a pic? Could it be discharge? Have you considered a RI?

Here is a link to a mite remedy,

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52545

Wayne

danielle
06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Mites usually won't just blow away and move visably on the animal. Have you seen any black dots in the water bowl? I wouldn't think RI either, but keep an eye out for anymore and treat then.

Emmanuel.S
06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Maybe a pic? Could it be discharge? Have you considered a RI?

i thought my snake had a respiratory infection because she was sneezing but after that same shed i told about the sneezing stopped.

danielle
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
my one sneezes when she is in blue and makes scary breathing sounds, but my vet assured me that can be normal for some because she's never had an RI and its just the skin loosening.

Emmanuel.S
06-08-2009, 08:26 PM
i couldn't take the pic
the spot is too small and won't show up.
i REALLY want it to be some sort of birthmark
but i dont think thats what it is

i checked the water bowl and there are some dots but they look like the substrate because i use coco fiber

Emmanuel.S
06-08-2009, 09:51 PM
its weird because its only in one nostril

danielle
06-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I would switch to papertowels or news paper for now and continue to monitor the water bowl for more black dots to be sure it was just the cocofiber which could be what is on the snkes nose.

Emmanuel.S
06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
okay i need to change the substrate now anyway
thank you
it makes sense for it to be cocofiber in her nostril because shes always digging

Emmanuel.S
06-10-2009, 07:57 PM
what the?
i switched for a day to the other nostril and now
its gone.phew!
its just because shes always digging probably
:blowhead:

danielle
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
LOL they do burrow and if your using coco fiber or soil of course it will get in their nose. I use aspen which is cheaper and drier:)

Asbit
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
If yours is a major digger and you use coco fiber, which is much dustier than aspen, I would suggest a switch, as the fine dust can cause RI's as well as impactions. Coco fiber used to be all we used as well until our garter got and RI and we lost her! Then we switched to Aspen and not only was it better, vet recomended but also cheaper by miles. The coco cost us approx $15 (3 small compressed bricks, the size of a real brick) to get enough to last all 5 snakes about 1-2 months if used conservatively. The Aspen was approx $11 for 30 litres compressed to 8 litres. We are now changing substrate for all snake less than monthly and will have enough to last at least a year from one bag and we bought 2!! You can not get that big of bag at all pet places but go to a feed mart or large pet store that also does horse stuff and you should be able to get the large bags, CHEAP!

Emmanuel.S
06-11-2009, 03:41 PM
thanks i actually thought that coco was cheaper at first!
:laugh01: