PDA

View Full Version : deli cup? And other feeding tricks?

deli cup? And other feeding tricks?

dara
10-10-2003, 01:56 AM
So my baby isn't eating. I've been reading up and trying various things, but I had some questions about the terminology that I've been seeing. What is a deli cup? Also, when I take him out to put him in a feeding container, how big should this container be and what should be in it besides the snake and whatever I'm trying to feed it? Substrate and a hiding place? Or nothing?

Also, is it possible that he is 10 days old and hasn't shed yet? He was moved around a lot in the beginning and I don't even know if until a few days ago he had a water dish big enough to fit in.

One last thing: what is the best way to 'tease' a snake?

Things I've tried so far:
live pinkie
f/t pinkie
brained pinkie
head
putting him in my hand, putting his head right near the pinkie head
putting him in a (somewhat large) tupperware shoebox with just him and the head

He's just way more interested in climbing around in his tank than anything having to do with a mouse.

Thanks so much. I'm a first-time owner but tried to read up as much as I could before asking questions, but I'm just not sure what some of the words mean. (And I love the pictures forum, y'all have beautiful snakes!)

rachel132002
10-10-2003, 03:46 AM
My smaller one owuldn't eat for 3weeks when I got her then i warmed a pnky up gave her just the tail and she took it fine offered her the pinky and she took it. Also apparently this time of year a lot go sluggish because it's coming up to brumation time.

I'll leave the major advice to the guys like elrojo, darrin and rich lol

Rachel:cool:

Tim Madsen
10-10-2003, 07:20 AM
A deli cup is a small plastic container, 8oz. is the prefered size. Try a live pinkie in a deli cup. Put the snake and pinkie in the deli cup and close the lid. Then put the cup in the snakes cage. Also cover the cup so the snake feels secure. Feed in the late evening and leave the snake in the cup over night. If this doesn't work then it's time to try lizard senting. You'll need a dead lizard preferably a Anole. You cut open its abdomen (the lizards LOL) and rub the pinkie all inside the lizard. It's kind of messy. Then feed in a deli cup.

dara
10-10-2003, 07:39 AM
I read that lizard skin or a frozen lizard will work also, is this true?

Tim Madsen
10-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Frozen lizard is fine and sometimes a piece of shed skin will work. I've used shed leopard gecko skin and it worked. But green Anole is the best. Doesn't matter if it is frozen. Try the live pinkie in a deli cup first.

tina
10-10-2003, 07:05 PM
I know this isn'y required and I am stating the obvious, but just in case, nobody mentioned that the deli cups are the ones used to transport the snakes and have HOLES in them. I know, but I would hate for a mistake to occur.
Tina

Sparda
10-10-2003, 09:21 PM
I have a blizzard that wasn't eating. Pink heads, in the deli cup, brained pinks, lizard scent....finally since I already had the lizard, (anole) and it was frozen, I cut the head off of that and put it in the deli cup with her. She ate it within 15 minutes. Next I am going to scent the pink a few times and hope that she takes them, then gradually wean her to unscented pinks.

~Catalina Reina
10-15-2003, 12:23 AM
I know I am going to sound like a total idiot, and I am not sure if I should be asking a question on here, but what is brumation time? I am a first time corn owner too, and I dont know anything either, are there any good books anyone could reccomend to me?
My snake is also not eating, this advice I am seeing is helping, I really like this site.
could an injury also possible be a cause for a snake not to be eating? :confused:
thank you.

CAV
10-15-2003, 10:17 AM
1. You need Kathy Love's book The Cornsnake Manual.

2. Brumation is a cooling period in the winter, similar to hibernation.

3. Eating issues can be caused by numerous influences. You will need to supply more information on your snake to get an informed response.

Welcome to the forum!

dara
10-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Hey all-
Just wanted to let you know that my baby (Leonard!) ate a live pinky the other day. Once I found out what a deli cup was, I tried it and it worked beautifully, no anole scenting needed. Thanks a bunch for your help!

Dara