PDA

View Full Version : Mites, lethargy

Mites, lethargy

jettamarz
06-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Yesterday I found my 10mo old, Cupid, *teaming* with mites and quite lethargic. I'm not sure exactly when the problem started except that his last feeding (about five days ago) he looked/acted/ate fine. I removed him from his viv and washed that all out with bleach and gave him an olive oil rubdown and he's now resting in a small temp. cage with a white paper towel lining so I can monitor the mites. There are no longer mite visibly crawling on him and the ones appearing on the paper towel all seem to be dead ... but he seems very very weak and is not eating. He's about due for a shedding so I don't know how worried I am about the not eating, but his weakness and lethary has me really worried.

I live in Japan so most of the product-specific information I have been able to find online is not helpful to me... A friend of mine with a friend who keeps snakes has gathered information on vets that treat snakes in our area and shops that carry snake goods and such, but he might not be able to take me until Monday'ish.

Any thoughts advice experiences that can help me in the meantime? I am a new snake owner (got Cupid in February) so even pretty basic information might be new to me, you never know. :awcrap:

medusacoils
06-19-2009, 08:58 AM
I think you are doing good with the baths. You need to keep him warm because he is probably anemic, from the mites. I would keep that appointment with the vet, if you can or make one if you haven't. Also, Can you find any meds used to treat lice, like nix? You can mix that with water and treat the snake, the tank, any furniture or substrate and surrounding area with it. If you have any other reptiles, you will need to treat them, as well.

Good Luck,

Wayne

medusacoils
06-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Also, here is a link that you may help! It talks about a home made mite remedy.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52545

Wayne

JackH
06-20-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't think most American mite products are available for sale outside the US. I think that in Japan you can get a product called "Top of Descent". It's from an Australian company that is good about getting rid of mites in the snake environment. Probably should treat all your cages, bedding, tanks, etc.