PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Bins

Feeding Bins

KachineK
06-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Just wondering, do you guys use seperate bins to feed each of your snakes or do you use just one bin some times? If both of my snakes are healthy, is there any harm in using the same bin? Mambo can be a finicky eater but I noticed that if I feed her in the same bin as Sweetie after Sweetie is put away, she eats better and faster.

Kachine Kolgon

RobbiesCornField
06-21-2009, 04:35 PM
If I used bins, I would use separate ones. If Sweetie happens to get sick, and you feed Mambo in there directly after, Mambo could get sick, too. Twice the vet bill, twice the meds, twice the pain. Definitely worth it to invest in a second feeding bin.

wade
06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Robbie is right and that is good advice. I probably would be to lazy to do that myself. I'd just use one bin and then be mad at myself if it caused a problem.

KachineK
06-21-2009, 05:39 PM
I usually do use two bins. Today I happened to use one. I put Sweetie in her bin while I cleaned her tank, went to grab her pinkies so I could feed her before putting her back and of course, she just had to poop in the bin! For lack of anywhere else to put her, I figured I would just feed her in Mambo's bin.

But true. I didn't really think of that. I'm so used to having furry pets. You can tell when they are sick a lot sooner then with snakes. Mental note made. Thanks guys. :)

Kachine Kolgon

Nanci
06-21-2009, 05:42 PM
I have a separate bin for each of my 20-something snakes. They have their names written on them. If I change bins, the used bin gets thoroughly disinfected. Same with the scale. I figure, if I ever have to evacuate for a hurricane or something, I have ready-to-go containers!

The_Thunderer
06-21-2009, 06:11 PM
I have three bins for the older snakes. I feed three at a time, wash, and then feed another three.

Corny Noob
06-21-2009, 09:21 PM
I keep seperate bins, but I only have two snakes :)
But even when I had four I had different ones.

gabegt
06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Why would you use separate feeding bins. Is it even if your not feeding your snakes at the same time?

ZoologyGirl
06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Why would you use separate feeding bins. Is it even if your not feeding your snakes at the same time?

"If I used bins, I would use separate ones. If Sweetie happens to get sick, and you feed Mambo in there directly after, Mambo could get sick, too. Twice the vet bill, twice the meds, twice the pain. Definitely worth it to invest in a second feeding bin"--RobbiesCornField

Caryl
06-22-2009, 11:40 AM
I use separate "bins" too, but the ones I use ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE A HUMAN TO BE IN ATTENDANCE AT ALL TIMES. The "bins" are just boxes lined with newspaper. The newspaper gets thrown away after a feeding. The boxes get recycled. I'm an Avon Representative, so I always have plenty of boxes around. Reduce, reuse, recycle.....

KachineK
06-22-2009, 08:27 PM
I purchased my feeding bin for Sweetie with the idea of having it do double duty. For now, she is small enough to eat in it. When she out grows it, it is the prefect size to store all my CDs in! It just won't be water proof anymore since I drilled holes in the cover. Mambo's is a bigger sterilite box, on the flattish side, and should be big enough for her to use for life. While shopping for it, I pulled a few off the shelf and examined them. My husband caught up with me and I held one up and said, "How long do you think Mambo will fit in this?" His response was "Well, how fast will she grow?" I shrugged, making some comment about "I have no idea. She's a baby, but I guess if I feed her every five days, she should grow at a decent rate." At this point a couple of older ladies in the same aisle started giving us some really strange looks. Almost as bad as when I picked up a digital scale in the kitchen section and asked my oldest son, "Looks good, but how do we get the snake to sit on it?" lol

Kachine Kolgon

vetusvates
06-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Twenty snakes. Twenty feeding cups/bins/tubs. With lids. For reasons elucidated above.

mynee
06-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I used to use one 10G tank as my feeding tank, but with the addition of more snakes, it's become a little impractical to feed one, scrub the tank, feed another, scrub, etc. I feed my guys in their own bins/tanks as I feel it speeds up the feeding process for me. I still scrub all tanks/bins just in case the same animal does not make it back into the same one at the next feeding day.

I found the comment about how to get a snake to sit on a kitchen scale hilarious! I get strange looks when I go shopping and find a piece of furniture or some other odds-n-ends that could be useful for my herps. My Home Depot guys stopped asking what I'm building whenever I go there. I think I might be their neighborhood creepy reptile girl. I love it!