• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding more often vs feeding 2 at a time

dfree

So things are going okay, I guess. Slim seems to be settling in. Here's my question. She ate a large pinkie with no trouble last Wed., and it seemed that maybe she was searching for another one after she got the first one down. I was afraid to give another one to her for fear of regurge. So, it is 5 days later. She has pooped and I was wondering if I should feed her 1 pinkie today, after only 5 days, or if I should wait the 7 days and then try and give her 2. Anyone have any thoughts on this? She is about 18 inches long, will be a year old the end of July. No idea how much she weighs.
Thanks!

So things are going okay, I guess. Slim seems to be settling in. Here's my question. She ate a large pinkie with no trouble last Wed., and it seemed that maybe she was searching for another one after she got the first one down. I was afraid to give another one to her for fear of regurge. So, it is 5 days later. She has pooped and I was wondering if I should feed her 1 pinkie today, after only 5 days, or if I should wait the 7 days and then try and give her 2. Anyone have any thoughts on this? She is about 18 inches long, will be a year old the end of July. No idea how much she weighs.
Thanks!

I feed little guys every four to five days. I'm of the opinion that appropriately sized food more often is a better feeding strategy. At 18" she should be eating more that one pink. I would, depending on girth and her eating habits, bump her to a fuzzy. I stress eating habits because some animals prefer smaller prey items and will shun or regurge bigger ones. When you feed her does she have a noticeable bump? If she doesn't then I would try bumping her to the next sized mouse. Too small a food item could be why she is searching for food earlier than usual.
Terri

She did have a noticable bump this last time, although it went away within a day. The first time we fed her, it was a very large pink that the breeder had given us to hold us over until the online supply arrived. That bump was noticable for 3 or 4 days. Of course, it was cooler in her tank that time, so maybe digestion was just slower, I don't know. But this time I noticed the bump was pretty much gone after 1 day.

Every 5 days should not hurt a smaller snake. If the bump is gone in a day that is not always a bad thing. 18 inch snake, might wanna try to bump her up. It really is hard to say without being there or seeing everything. If you have access to a scale, Try the Munson plan. It is a good guideline to use. Good luck

Oh and Most of my snakes are eating machines, when I finish feeding they always want more. So it is not uncommon for them to want more. Kinda like giving a kid candy, They want and will eat as much as they can, but if you don't watch it, they will get sick.

Back