PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Frozen Mice

Ordering Frozen Mice

Leonore
06-23-2009, 05:31 PM
OMG, my local pet shop is charging $1.29 per pink! ...plus outrageous Chicago area sales tax! :eek:

Golly, I'd love to shop local, but that's highway robbery!

So, I called The Big Cheese to get a shipping quote and, factoring in the total cost, it is still half the price to order in bulk! (the online Costco of dead mice - LOL!)

My question is this: is 50 too many to keep in my freezer? How big of a bag is that? Will they keep long enough for one little snakey to use them all up? (I have a sub zero)

Thanks for the help!

Leonore
06-23-2009, 05:38 PM
... oh, and Rodent Pro... although I am reluctant because the reviews here were poor...
basically the same price as TBC for the minimum order - but for TWICE as many!! Holy Smokes! What do I do? How big of a bag/how much freezer space does it take for 100 pinkies? Again, would they keep long enough?

airenlow
06-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I have ordered from Rodent Pro online and in person...I have never had an issue with their mice. :shrugs:

50 pinkies would probably fit in a sandwich bag, so they don't take up much room at all. Do you only have the one snake? You'll probably end up feeding double and triple pinkies just to get rid of them. I'm not sure how long they last in the freezer, but I have fed 4 month old frozen mice with no ill effects.

Nanci
06-23-2009, 05:48 PM
I'd go with The Mouse Factory. You could get 50 pinks, 50 fuzzys for $70 shipped, and you could add in 25 hoppers and 25 weanlings for $25 more, and I bet the shipping charge would barely increase. That would last you a _long_ time! They come vacuum packed, and if you put the packages in a Tupperware in the freezer, they will last a really long time. Like a year. Which is about how long it will take her to get up to adult mice.

Nanci
06-23-2009, 05:49 PM
(You're going to get another snake anyway...)

The_Thunderer
06-23-2009, 05:53 PM
I've ordered from RodentPro and never had a problem (although it does seem that others do). I've ordered 600 pieces (pinks, weanlings and full grown) and they fit on the bottom of our freezer (space of a "vegetable box" on the fridge side). I order 2x a year... so I also bought a vacuum sealer from Wal-Mart to vacuum pack the bulk of the order. Of course, I've got over 25 snakes.

For one snake, I don't know that I'd order in bulk... You're only feeding once a week anyway. That's less than an Iced Venti Stirred Caramel Macchiato (sp?) from Starbucks that my wife sometimes orders EVERY DAY. LOL. It just might not be worth your time.

But others are right... it'll only be a matter of time before you get another... LOL.

Lennycorn
06-23-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd go with The Mouse Factory. You could get 50 pinks, 50 fuzzys for $70 shipped, and you could add in 25 hoppers and 25 weanlings for $25 more, and I bet the shipping charge would barely increase. That would last you a _long_ time! They come vacuum packed, and if you put the packages in a Tupperware in the freezer, they will last a really long time. Like a year. Which is about how long it will take her to get up to adult mice.

This is the route I would go!!

wade
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM

Me too. The Mouse Factory is fantastic to deal with, you will never meet nicer people. Just the convenience of always having them on hand and not having to go to the pet store would make it worth while for me.

I happen to be one of those people who knows how much a Sub Zero fridge costs. You can afford it.

Nanci
06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I can't tell you how many times I have been so glad I had a partial package of pinks left in the freezer. For when I accidentally buy a snake...

Khaman
06-23-2009, 07:36 PM
I can't tell you how many times I have been so glad I had a partial package of pinks left in the freezer. For when I accidentally buy a snake...

Sounds like my freezer *DIG* frozen skink tails *TOSS* Large rats *TOSS* Weanling mice*SHOVE* *DIG* "Ahh I knew I has some somewhere"

Floof
06-23-2009, 07:51 PM

LOL! Too true!

Anyway.. 50 mice is small. As has been said before, 50 pinkies will fit in a sandwich bag. Even 50 pinkies, though, is too much for JUST one snake! I ordered 50 pinkies from The Mouse Factory when I got my first snake. By the time I got through them, 6-8 months later, I was tripling up on pinkies and she was much smaller than she could have been as a yearling...

I have to agree with Nanci's suggestion: Get the first few sizes and just keep the extras in the freezer... You know... For when you "accidentally" buy a new snake... ;) Lol.

That said... The Mouse Factory is wonderful! Even my mom recognizes the quality--she won't let me not order from them! Lol. I ordered from Rodentpro once, and, suffice to say, I wasn't satisfied, and the experience was made that much worse by my "TMF-level" expectations...

Nanci
06-23-2009, 07:51 PM
I had a frozen toad in my freezer for the longest time...

Leonore
06-23-2009, 09:54 PM
(You're going to get another snake anyway...)

You are BAD.

Leonore
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
For when I accidentally buy a snake...

You guys are killin' me.

Thank you for all the ordering ideas! I am definitely going to look into the various possibilities from TMF and TBC. Even if we never get through 50 pinks, the $34 it will cost me to get them from TBC would only get me 24 pinks here at home. That just seems crazy.

Khaman
06-24-2009, 12:12 AM
For when I accidentally buy a snake...

Honestly it followed me home. :duck:

Tictoc
07-03-2009, 09:37 PM
1.29 a pinkie....I could live with that...4.04 per pink here..I just looked at was was marked on the bag! I'm ordering 50 pinks and 50 fuzzies here for the lil baby corn, so I might have a few pinks around in case I too accidentally buy another ;)