PDA

View Full Version : Mites? Cant decide!

Mites? Cant decide!

Drey
10-14-2003, 12:23 AM
hey guys..need advice.

There seems to be a few black specs in his water bowl. not too sure if they're just harmless wood shavings or....
and he does seem to be soaking rather more than usual
but i cant catch any sign of mites on him, nor on the newspaper substrate, nor on my hands when i handle him. So..??

What's the first sign he's about to shed? i thought maybe that's the reason why he was soaking so much recently. His eyes havent turned white yet..but the top of his head's gone alil dry, and lil bit whitish?

Rachel
10-14-2003, 03:02 AM
You'll know when he's about to shed when his eyes go milky. Thats the most obvious sign. Others include dull looking scales, 'bunched' up skin when he is coiled and a general 'narkiness'. Some snakes don't like being handled much when in shed phase.

As for mites, if you have a magnifying glass (or a microscope!) try looking at the black specks using it. You'll soon know if they are mites of not!

Rach x

Drey
10-15-2003, 03:19 AM
thanks..i'll definetly go get a magnifying glass, put my mind at ease.
Another thing, his scales are getting abit odd from head down. Hard to describe..like alil dry, and slightly whitish. but it's only starting at the head part, and spreading downwards. there seems to be a few tiny black patches too. is that some kind of an infection? or is he going to shed. his eyes are still normal though.
Appreciate the help

Drey

Rachel
10-15-2003, 05:55 AM
He could be coming up for a shed. and the tiny black patches could be mites. What do the black patches look like? I'd try and determine if you had mites asap if I were you and then treat accordingly.