PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Fallen
07-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Hello. My Corn, Cheetah is about a year and a half old. I was feeding her frozen-thawed mice but about 2 months ago she started refusing them. So I got scared after a month of her not eating and offered her a live mouse. She loved it. That was about 5 or 6 weeks ago. She has since then, killed every weekly mouse I have offered, but will not eat them. Sometimes she will try, by starting to swallow the head but once she gets to the neck she spits it out. She has never regurged, but Im scared she might if she's having problems. I've been buying the mice from Petco.

I have her on aspen, she has a heating pad on one side of her 20 g tank and plenty of water and places to hide, etc. She seems totally happy except she's not eating. What am I doing wrong? Since she is over a year old, does she need to eat every week?

Thanks for reading.
:)

RobbiesCornField
07-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Yep, she still needs to eat every week.

It sounds like something that happened with a couple of mine. Is she eating an adult mouse? Try giving her a couple fuzzies or (if she's big enough) a rat pinky. With mine, the issue turned out to be too much hair (at least I think that's what it is). Ever since I switched them to rat pups, they haven't had a problem yet.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Fallen
07-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks. I'll try doubling up on smaller mice and then the rat pups. I was also told, by the guy at petco, that some snakes dont like the white mice. The one she did eat was black and white. Since then every mouse offered was white, is there some truth to this or is it just nonsense?

RobbiesCornField
07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks. I'll try doubling up on smaller mice and then the rat pups. I was also told, by the guy at petco, that some snakes dont like the white mice. The one she did eat was black and white. Since then every mouse offered was white, is there some truth to this or is it just nonsense?

I did have one very picky snake that would only eat white female mice. She wouldn't touch males, or anything with color. It all depends on the snake, but I'm guessing that sense she actually did kill them and try to eat them, that's a load of phooey in this case.

Fallen
07-06-2009, 09:12 AM
lol, good to know, I like your theroy of there being too much hair, sounds more pratical. thanks again for your advice, I really appreicate it :)

RobbiesCornField
07-06-2009, 09:13 AM
lol, good to know, I like your theroy of there being too much hair, sounds more pratical. thanks again for your advice, I really appreicate it :)

You're welcome! :D I'm here to serve. LOL

BobbyHill
07-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Don't forget to check your temperatures, too! A lot of feeding issues are caused by bad temps.

wilomn
07-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Are you sure she's a she and not a he looking for a she to prove what a he she is?