PDA

View Full Version : Got a rescue and need advice

Got a rescue and need advice

Franklin!
07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi, i am new here, and thought i would introduce myself, my name is franklin, I love lots of reptiles and invertabrates.

I got this a corn snake as a rescue, and dont know what i have gotten myself into! this is my 8th snake, and unsure of my snake and its condition.

here are pictures to help explain the situation. he is in deep pre shed, and im not sure if there is old shed on his eyes, or if it will all shed off.

also does anyone know the morph? (im thinking a red tail corn ;) )

He is mean and hisses a lot, so i am just leaving him alone till i know what to do with him.

I have him on eco earth for humidity and am not planning on feeding him in there, i am not new to snakes, just looking for some advice for this condition.

pictures:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/FTA_ITG/IMG_0871.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/FTA_ITG/IMG_0874.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/FTA_ITG/IMG_0875.jpghttp://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o286/FTA_ITG/IMG_0876.jpg

ceduke
07-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Maybe it's just me, but that looks like a pituophis...albino bull snake?

Floof
07-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Ditto... Definitely not a corn, but it looks like some kind of pituophis! Pretty snake and, by what I've heard, hissing is not at all uncommon with pits. =3

danielle
07-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Not a corn, but cute mad little thing.

Asbit
07-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I agree not a corn, but beautiful colors, as for the eyes, they look "bluer" or cloudier than any snake I have seen in shed, although I am fairly new to snake husbandry. I would wait no longer than a week and if those eyes do not go back to clear, then I would see a vet with him.

Bulls can be quit pissy, esp if in shed (like most snakes) but with handling I have known a few very friendly calm bulls.

As well it is hard to tell from the pics but does his mouth not close properly??

Tisha

Franklin!
07-09-2009, 03:23 AM
most my snake knowledge is with arboreal boids and a few colubrids, so im not too surprised.

I was expecting a colubrid in need of care, and got one, but just not a corn ;)

i am hoping it will shed soon, and if not i will take him to a vet, or try. i got him as free, and hoping to stay cheap, but well see!

and it was hissing when i took the pics so that explains the mouth LOL

diamondlil
07-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Looks like a gorgeous healthy bullsnake to me!

Franklin!
07-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Looks like a gorgeous healthy bullsnake to me!

look at the eyes. they are like 5x what normal shed is like though

diamondlil
07-09-2009, 03:45 AM
Well, a couple of my corns have eyes that go that pale in shed, so I personally wouldn't worry too much until it does shed, then reassess the situation.

Iguanagirl8662
07-09-2009, 04:09 AM
I agree definitely not a corn, looks like an albino Bullsnake. The eyes seem normal to me also, it's just in shed. The eyes should clear up in a couple days and then not long after he/she will shed. After it sheds you will be able to tell better if there is anything wrong with the eyes which I doubt but you never know. Good luck, hope everything turns out okay with it.

Franklin!
07-11-2009, 03:07 AM
no updates, just sitting there and the occasional bath. :-/

Asbit
07-11-2009, 03:14 AM
It's only been 3 days, patience man, I know it's hard, but I would still wait longer, you already know that the eyes may or may not clear up. Sheds can take a couple of weeks for the whole process. I know I know it's like an eon!!

Franklin!
07-11-2009, 03:18 AM
i was online and thought i should post something, but i know it can take a while, just didnt want to leave someone one edge! LOL

Asbit
07-11-2009, 03:29 AM
That is so nice of you! It is a nice looking snake, I can honestly say i am a tad jealous.:cool:

Franklin!
07-11-2009, 03:31 AM
well thanks! it is my red tail corn ;)

is a hisser in its cage, but mellows out, but i am giving him some alone time. but on a side note, are they easy to pop or probe? or can you tell by scales if i get a good ventral shot?

The_Thunderer
07-11-2009, 03:32 AM
Nice one, Franklin! Good rescue!

Funny thing is that one of our neighbors called me and said that she had a WILD 5 foot long ALBINO bull snake in her yard eating a bird... Unfortunately, at the time of her call, I was 200 miles away.

DARN!!! LOL.

I wouldn't worry too much. He looks healthy and will shed when he's good and ready. Waiting for a snake to shed is like waiting for a pot of water to boil, or watching paint dry. LOL.

Franklin!
07-11-2009, 03:35 AM
Nice one, Franklin! Good rescue!

Funny thing is that one of our neighbors called me and said that she had a WILD 5 foot long ALBINO bull snake in her yard eating a bird... Unfortunately, at the time of her call, I was 200 miles away.

DARN!!! LOL.

I wouldn't worry too much. He looks healthy and will shed when he's good and ready. Waiting for a snake to shed is like waiting for a pot of water to boil, or watching paint dry. LOL.

not when it comes to by boas! my BRB and ATB babies shed religiously and quick!! (and my cali king)

but thinking the snake is in peril it knows it, so will take its time!!!

Asbit
07-11-2009, 03:59 AM
I have liked bulls for a while, but have never seen an albino, till now and it is lovely.

Franklin!
07-11-2009, 04:17 AM
what is a typical price range for one of these guys? i got it as a rescue and feel bad if it is completely healthy!

Asbit
07-11-2009, 04:40 AM
At the pet store here for a normal one(not an albino, which would have been more) about that size the were selling it for about $250 Canadian(I am in Canada) that's $291 USD!!

Nice guy you ended up with there, hopefully he is just needing to shed and does not have serious eye probs!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I noticed you are so young and you mentioned you have like 8 or 9 snakes now, do you live at home(with parents) if so you are fortunate to have such great parents who allow you to have all your snakes.

Tisha

Franklin!
07-11-2009, 11:35 AM
At the pet store here for a normal one(not an albino, which would have been more) about that size the were selling it for about $250 Canadian(I am in Canada) that's $291 USD!!

Nice guy you ended up with there, hopefully he is just needing to shed and does not have serious eye probs!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I noticed you are so young and you mentioned you have like 8 or 9 snakes now, do you live at home(with parents) if so you are fortunate to have such great parents who allow you to have all your snakes.

Tisha

I do live at home, and my mom allows my pets, although she is not happy with them, she always tells me to downsize, but i dont. Its a very big bedroom, so i have room and love it a lot :)

Asbit
08-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Well how is that bull doing???

Franklin!
08-02-2009, 02:26 AM
... i need to post pics :D