PDA

View Full Version : Shy Snake

Shy Snake

BlueSnake187
07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey,

So this is my first snake so i dont know if this is normal or odd. I got it a month ago from a pet store. They said it was 6 months old (its about 12 to 13 inches). It lives in a 20 gallon long tank. At first it was pretty active and explore, but a couple of weeks ago its just been hiding not really coming out. It has been freaking out easily too. Is this normal or what?

Thanks

Roy Munson
07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
If it's been eating, then it should be due for a shed soon (at that age). They'll be secretive and prone to "freaking out" before and during shed-time. If it hasn't shed, hasn't eaten, etc. in the next couple of weeks, come back for more advice.

BlueSnake187
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
It already shed, just two days ago. i accidentally picked it up after it shed, was that bad?
I'm going to be feeding it tomorrow...hopefully it will calm down??...i dont have any idea whats wrong with it

Asbit
07-09-2009, 01:56 PM
It is fine to pick it up after it shed. When you want to be careful about handling is after a feed.

Feed your snake either a f/t (frozen thawed) mouse 1.5 times the thickness of your snake (a general guesstimate method) or a much more accurate and easier method The Munson Method http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106, for this one all you need is a simple digital kitchen scale that weighs in 1g increments, easy to find and inexpensive(try Walmart).

Either method you choose, then wait at least 24 hr and look, don't touch and see if there is a lump still in your snakes belly, if you can still see one, you are feeding a sufficient amount. Then wait for your snake to have a poop, or at least 2-3 days after feeding (generally when no lump can be seen), this gives sufficient time for digestion. If you handle to soon you can cause regurgitation, which is very bad.

Personally, I never handle until they have their first poop after a feed. Hope this helps.

Tisha

carpathian000
07-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Actually, I'm having this problem too! My yearling shed, ate, pooped, and is now hiding and hasn't come out for days. He is clear-eyed and alert, but won't come out like he had been before he shed. What gives?

Asbit
07-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Corn snakes do not prefer to be out in the day time. they prefer to come in pre-dawn and dusk. They do this to hunt and thermoregulate. They are not social animals. As Roy said, if they are eating, pooping and shedding fine then they most likely fine.

But if you want to be able to spend time with your snake then other than during shed phase and right after feeding, handle each day for around a 30 min or so.

If they put up a fuss when you go to get them out, don't back down. If you react to hissing, tail vibrating, striking, pooping on you, fleeing and even biting then you re-enforce to them that "you are a predator they must chase away" and have now succeeded at!

Whereas if you just get in there and quickly nicely pick them up and immediately move away from the viv, they will quickly learn this person is not a predator and will not eat me, and therefor will calm down. I say move away from the viv because some corns are territorial and if you stay near the viv, they are pissier as they do not want anything or anyone near their home.

Just keep doing things as you have been, and watch for signs of illness, if there are no obvious signs and they continue to eat, poop and shed, most likely things should be ok.

Tisha

carpathian000
07-11-2009, 04:27 PM
See that's the strange thing--my husband and I are primarily awake at night time. Previously, Plissken (the snake, not my husband!) would be climbing all over his tank all night, but since he shed, he won't come out.

Maybe he's just in "a mood"?

Asbit
07-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Very possibly, now keep in mind I am fairly new Carpathian and others will be able to give you a better set of ideas, at this time I can only think of two things that come to mind, considering your guy is a yearling and has always been active at night and now not after this last shed.

1. Check you temps, have they changed for some unforeseen reason. I do not know how you regulate temps in his viv. but if you have an under tank heater (UTH) is it still working(feel it is it warm) or do you have a thermometer with a probe for it. If so is the probe lying directly on the glass above the heater? What does it read. Your not experiencing a heat drop or spike are you?? Same thing if you are using overhead heat lamp or ceramic lamp heat source. Remember 80-85 on the warm side (temp taken on glass at bottom of viv not on the wall of the viv) and 70-75 on the cool side.

2.Is your snake a boy, holding out for a girl????? Feeling the urge maybe??

Hopefully, someone else will pop in here and help out with your specific issue
Carpathian as it is a little bit different from Bluesnake187's

Tisha