• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

odd crease down back when moving or coiled?

carnivorouszoo

Crazy Critter Lady
When my snake is moving or is coiled at all she has a crease or wrinkle along any curves, is this just the muscles bunching or is it a sign of being under or over fed? Or am I paronoid? Saddly I can not get pics right now.

Does it look like the creases where this snake bends because I'm very new to snakes but I have friends who own ball pythons\corn snakes and I'm pretty sure that's just muscle or the skin folding a little.

Attachments

• TX_CamoBall.jpg
    TX_CamoBall.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 86
This can possibly be a sign of an obese snake, or possibly dehydration. Of course, pictures would help to see if it's anything to be concerned about in the first place.

pics would be helpful, but if the snake is fixing to shed and is a little on the dry side they can look like you have described

Are you talking about along the back parallel to the spine? If that is what you are talking about then it's muscles. It's along the sides that don't want to see wrinkling or creases unless they are about to shed. Cornsnakes are leaner then the snake pictured above, if it has creases or wrinkles like that then it's obese. I took a picture of my adult butter motley flexing a little as she was heading for the shelf above her. It's not the best pic but I hope it helps.

Attachments

• back muscle.jpg
    back muscle.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 56
I've seen where some of mine have had a crease that stayed even when they straightened out. I can't recall if it was near a shed or not though, may have been. I don't think that you have anything to worry about unless the snake is clearly on the tubby side. And as long as he/she has access to water.

Its like that, along the spine not on the sides. I did not really think she is fat as she is so trim. Thanks!

Are you talking about along the back parallel to the spine? If that is what you are talking about then it's muscles. It's along the sides that don't want to see wrinkling or creases unless they are about to shed. Cornsnakes are leaner then the snake pictured above, if it has creases or wrinkles like that then it's obese. I took a picture of my adult butter motley flexing a little as she was heading for the shelf above her. It's not the best pic but I hope it helps.

Yep, that's that then.
I've seen it put like this before which really helped me visualize it- can't remember who said it, but it was here on this site.
If you were to visualize a cross section of a corn with good muscle tone, it should look like a slice of bread.
I'm so used that that physiology now, that I was paranoid about my indigo for a while. They have a very different shape that quite a bit more triangular on the cross section. If he were a corn, he'd be starving to death. But they just have more spine show.

Back