PDA

View Full Version : Hum, loose skin?

Hum, loose skin?

Muggle
07-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I've never seen this before so I wanted to get your thoughts.

My new little snake that I've had for a few months has developed some wrinkly skin on the lower half of his body. I saw it yesterday and thought it was a bad shed but when I got him out it wasn't a bad shed it was his skin. He's not blue (as far as I can tell, but he's a snow so he might be). I just put in a humid hide. I don't know if that will help but I figure it can't hurt anything. I've seen this sort of thing in pictures of dehydrated snakes but he has plenty of water available. Is he not drinking? I mean, I've seen him drink because I stick his head in the bowl every time I put him back in the cage, idk. He eats fine although he did regurge the second week I had him but he has been fine since then. What do you think? Thanks!

RobbiesCornField
07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I think you should stop sticking his head in the bowl. He knows it's there, and he'll drink when he wants to.

As far as the skin goes, unless you have pics, we can't really tell for sure. It sounds like a retained shed, though.

Muggle
07-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Well, sticking his head in the bowl is a little over-stating it. When I put him back in the cage I hover over the water so he sees it and drinks if he wants :). I've read about hatchlings dieing from dehydration even when there was water available because they couldn't find it. I have always done this with all my snakes. I'll get pictures here in a second.

Muggle
07-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Ok, here are some pictures.

RobbiesCornField
07-12-2009, 12:04 PM
That definitely looks like a retained shed to me. Try soaking for a little while (about 20 mins).

BobbyHill
07-12-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree with Robbie. Make sure the water you soak the snake in feels just a little cool to the touch, to you. You're shooting for about 75-80 degrees.