PDA

View Full Version : Completely Custom Check it Out

Completely Custom Check it Out

lilmex1can
07-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Alright heres my custom vivarium made out of MDF board and hand made styrofoam ledges rocks terraces and other modeled thingys but you can check out how i built it here.
www.allcornsnakes.webs.com
http://allcornsnakes.webs.com/photos/-Tank-Project/IMG_1954.JPG
http://allcornsnakes.webs.com/photos/-Tank-Project/t1.JPG
I am currently building the same thing for a neighbor. If you live in the Detroit Metro area of Michigan and want something like this let me know and ill quote you. The tank still needs exterior paint and I also really need some help figuring out light and heat.
I probed the ledge directly beneath my Repti Glo Incandescent UVB bulb and its a good 84 degrees and im going to install a UTH in the bottom hide and everything should be good!

LBoz
07-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Really nice, I love it!!

lilmex1can
07-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Really nice, I love it!!

Thanks the only hing is im really confused about lighting and heating i get mixed opinions from the pet store and online what the heck should i do.

Heres my current temps with the UVB bulb in it:
Leafy areas: 75-76
Terraces: 78
High basking spot: 84
Low Hide corner:74

Should i get a heat pad for the hide corner?
And are these temps good?

SquamishSerpents
07-19-2009, 03:08 PM
that is AWESOME!!! looks killer nice, i don't think you should paint the wood, just use a dark stain, it would look beautiful!

lilmex1can
07-19-2009, 10:39 PM
its like 18 inches deep by 30 inches wide by 40 inches wide how many females can i put in there?

Lennycorn
07-19-2009, 10:43 PM
its like 18 inches deep by 30 inches wide by 40 inches wide how many females can i put in there?

It depends on how many stalls you have. :sidestep:

lilmex1can
07-19-2009, 10:48 PM
HUUHHH!??? Whats a stall i dont have any???
my tank is pictured isnt it?

Lennycorn
07-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Sorry it was a joke. Pay no mindl.

Nice set up.

Lennycorn
07-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh, you should only houses one corn per viv/ tank/cage.

lilmex1can
07-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Oh, you should only houses one corn per viv/ tank/cage.

:cry: I WANT MORE CORNS I HAVE ONE UGLY CAGE IM SCREWED NO MORE ROOM IN MY ROOM FOR MORE!

gabegt
07-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Truthfully speaking. If I had a sweet setup like that, I would not use it for a corn. I would go for something like an Iguana, or a chameleon.

When making a viv for my snake I look for ground area with some headroom for some branches.

But yah. That's a perfect viv for an iguana. God I miss my iguana...

But again. That is a wicked creation!

Floof
07-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Very nice! I have to agree, a bit, with Gabegt... That would make a wonderful enclosure for an (even semi-) arboreal, diurnal lizard. A (much) larger version would be absolutely excellent for an iguana! =)

I think you'd be alright to just put a hide box on the basking ledge, so the snake has the option to hide AND stay warm, rather than having to bask in the open when it wants warmth. I wouldn't add a heat pad to the other side, though, so the enclosure keeps a nice temperature gradient.

While belly heat is better, your set up is decent. To supply belly heat without adding/subtracting heating elements, though, you can make the hidebox for the basking ledge out of rock and/or ceramic tile... It will absorb the heat from the light, supplying ample belly heat... The only issue might be a wattage adjustment--things might get warmer than they already are with the heat retention of the stone/tile.

As for multiple animals in the enclosure... Not unless you're getting a colony of social(if they can be..) or semi-social arboreal lizards or frogs (don't mix species!) who can safely be kept together (i.e. crested geckos or anoles). Snakes are not social creatures. They stress out and can potentially become ill (and spread that illness to the other snakes) and/or develop such problems as refusing to eat and/or regurging meals... Corn snakes can and have cannibalized their roommates, as well--usually hatchlings, but it's possible with any age/size snake... Even if they could be kept together, 18x30 inches of floorspace (if I read that right) is only big enough for one corn snake, regardless of height (they are primarily terrestrial animals).

lilmex1can
07-20-2009, 08:12 AM
I have a UVB light and was told by someone that snakes dont like it because they have no eyelids to sheild their eyes from the radiation is this true if so what kind of light do i need? This hole lighting heating thing is begining to piss me off reallllyyyy badd i now have $30 into lighting and am not happy! I need a suggestion ASAP

Floof
07-21-2009, 01:49 AM
I doubt the UVB would hurt the snake's eyes. They don't need it, though, so next time, go with a low wattage incandescent... You might have to test out different wattages to get the right temps for your corn snake, though. The low wattage bulbs also have very dull lighting compared to compact fluorescents, so your snake will appreciate that. The snake's dislike of bright lighting is also why you should put a hide on the basking ledge.

JustineNYC
07-21-2009, 03:25 PM
I have a UVB light and was told by someone that snakes dont like it because they have no eyelids to sheild their eyes from the radiation is this true if so what kind of light do i need? This hole lighting heating thing is begining to piss me off reallllyyyy badd i now have $30 into lighting and am not happy! I need a suggestion ASAP

99% of the forum supplies their corns with zero light.

They don't bask, they don't need bulbs. Overhead lights are too hot for them, they need belly heat in the 80 to 85 range.

If you have invested money into overhead lighting, I agree with the other members, get a lizard or something that basks.