PDA

View Full Version : May Actually Be A Dumb Question

May Actually Be A Dumb Question

BlueSnake187
07-22-2009, 12:40 AM
When i'm feeding my snake in its feeding box...which one should i put in first the snake or the food (pinkies)?

MedusaCorns
07-22-2009, 01:09 AM
snake and wait a few mins so he gets in mode "matrix"

BlueSnake187
07-22-2009, 01:21 AM
and what exactly is mode "matrix?

MedusaCorns
07-22-2009, 01:31 AM
I call it that cause when I take the lid of they are alert and waiting. Of course that's when they get use to knowing the bin as feeding time. :)

Nanci
07-22-2009, 05:21 AM
I put the mouse in first. Except for Noah the BOA, because I feed him with tongs, because he isn't so smart about finding the mouse.

bkelm18
07-22-2009, 06:39 AM
I put the snake in the container and cover it with a towel. Then I go defrost the pinkie, which takes about 10 minutes. By the time I get back, he's ready and waiting. He usually takes it immediately.

Buzzard
07-22-2009, 08:43 AM
I think this question is more of a personal preference. I do what ever is easiest at the time. With mine it makes no difference. They seem to eat no matter which way I do it.

The_Thunderer
07-22-2009, 11:27 AM
For my shy snakes I put the mouse in first. That way the act of moving them is the only distraction. The mouse is already in there, so I don't have to "come back" to put it in there. For the rest, it really doesn't matter. They'll eat, no matter what.

Soooo, it might be your SNAKES preference that you need to think about. :)

airenlow
07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
I like to feed later so I don't smell like mice when I take the snakes out of their tubs. I also like to wait to thaw out mice until I have the snakes' weights recorded...that way I can make last minute adjustments on food size.

Caryl
07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
There are benefits to either way of doing it. Some snakes feed better if they're in the bin first. Others like to "hunt and discover" the food item that's already in there. Do whichever works for you and your snake(s).

The_Thunderer
07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah... the only snake I have that I put the mouse in first is my LTR... She gets so ANGRY when I remove her from her enclosure, but doesn't really get hyped up until I put her down. So, with the mouse in there first, I just set her down, put the cover on and she's set. If I try to put the mouse in after she's down, she'll spend the next hour all "coiled up and hissing". LOL!