PDA

View Full Version : Deviating from the Munson Plan?

Deviating from the Munson Plan?

bapkate
07-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey guys,

So I've been following the Munson plan with my little corn, but it seems like he's getting hungry sooner than every 5 days. I fed him on Saturday evening, and his belly bulge is completely gone and he's cruising around his tank. I figure he's either poking around for food, but he could be just poking around.

He's about a month old now. How many of you feed your hatchlings more often than every 5 days? I'm not talking about a huge change, just a day or so.

medusacoils
07-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Feeding every five days is soon enough. I wouldn't increase it. The cruising could be just that, cruising. You have to realize that snakes are opportunistic feeders. They eat when the opportunity arises. Not always necessarily when they are hungry. Feeding too soon after a meal or too often could hurt the little one.

I would suggest sticking to the Munson plan.

Good Luck

Wayne

mike17l
07-22-2009, 10:05 AM
The Munson plan is no the end all be all of feeding corn snakes. The Munson Plan are a good set of guidelines, but by no means should you be obligated to follow it to a 't'. That being said, I do not follow the Munson Plan. I feed hatchlings like this: If it a future keeper of mine - 4-6 days, a nice snake that will sell soon - 6-8 days, and something that I plan on wholesaling out - 8-10 days.

Blue Apple Herps
07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I feed all of my corns once a week. From hatchlings to adults (and even the larger adults I only feed every 10-14 days).

Definitely don't feed it more than every 5 days. Corns can and will get overweight if you do feed it too often.

Caryl
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Don't forget that the goal is NOT keeping your snake in a state of complete satiation at all times. Cruising around is normal and desirable. It's called exercise, and promotes health in a number of ways. Don't try to eliminate that.

When your snake's belly bulge from feeding is gone in less than 24 hours, you may move him up to a larger meal. As for days between feedings, that can indeed vary as has been stated. The Munson plan is an excellent guideline, but it's a guideline. Feeding less often isn't a problem. Feeding more often is a health risk.

Oh - since you asked, I personally feed my hatchlings every 5 days unless they're in shed.