PDA

View Full Version : injured tail

injured tail

deadheadmamma4
07-25-2009, 07:13 PM
our snake got out 2 months ago he was abought 4 months old he was little my husband was in the yard today and guess what he found our snake stricker needless to say my 9 year old was so happy {now he has a ball and a corn}anyway heis very baddle injured on his tail you can see bone on the end and it is black and hard abought a inch up we think he got atacked and it is infected i am bring him to the vet on mon it is sat and nothing is open what can i do till then and do you think he has a chance????

Khaos
07-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey, I don't know enough to give an opinion, but I saw another thread where a snake had similar issues.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85864&highlight=black+tail+injury

Maybe that will help you a bit.
I have read about a few snakes with injuries where the bone in the tail was exposed and the tail turned black, and they survived. So you never know, he might be okay!

Good luck!

Lennycorn
07-25-2009, 08:27 PM
our snake got out 2 months ago he was abought 4 months old he was little my husband was in the yard today and guess what he found our snake stricker needless to say my 9 year old was so happy {now he has a ball and a corn}anyway heis very baddle injured on his tail you can see bone on the end and it is black and hard abought a inch up we think he got atacked and it is infected i am bring him to the vet on mon it is sat and nothing is open what can i do till then and do you think he has a chance????

Keep in a cage with paper towels as bedding until the tail is healed.
Apply Neosporin on the area. Ask if the Vet works with snakes/reptile, most don't but they should able to call someone for advice on treatment.

You say the tail is black and hard.....that would also be leftover skin/shed on the tail. Maybe/maybe not. If it is. That part will likely fall off.

You might want to wait until after the vet appt to feed the snake too.
Just give him water and stree free for now.