PDA

View Full Version : Sissaphus R.I.P.

Sissaphus R.I.P.

bluetattoo
10-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Thank you to all those who offered me advice on trying to get my little Sissaphus to eat. However, the sad news is that on Tuesday morning I awoke to find him dead on the floor of the viv. With hindsight I feel I should maybe have taken him for a post mortem, but at the time, I was a bit distressed, late for work (again) and just disposed of the body.
Does it sound plausible that a young snake (prob about 10-12 weeeks) could die from stress / not eating alone? I had only had him 3 weeks and he had refused everything I offered, however I offered it. I obviously cannot guarantee when (or if) he ate before then.
I DO feel that he was very stressed, and that I contributed to that problem by having two snakes in the same viv (they were the same age, from the same place, and out of the same viv) though this was never to have been a permanent arrangement (especially after reading many of the posts on here) just that my plans for a second viv were somewhat delayed by having my wallet stolen! An example of what I took to be stressed behaviour was that Sissaphus and Azrael in general each preferred the different hides, Azrael at the cool end, Sissaphus the warm. However, especially after eating, Azrael would sometimes use the warm hide, and when this happened, Sissaphus would seem very "put out" and would not use the hide at all, but lay on the floor in the open, or on top of the hide.
Azrael since seems to have been fine, has shed, and has successfully moved up to his first two pinkie meal I don't see an awful lot of him as he seems to spend most of his time hiding, though I know that he is moving about as he is invariably in a different hide every time I check.
Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but any comments as to whether stress and refusing to eat for a period of just three weeks alone are enough to cause the death of a young snake would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys

A Very Sad Bluetattoo.

CornCrazy
10-25-2003, 05:59 AM
I would say that stress and not eating for three weeks could cause a snake to die. I would bet that the snake wasn't eating before you got him, though.

My advice to you is to not get another snake until you have the money to get another viv. It's simply not worth taking that kind of chance. I also advise you to make certain the new snake is eating BEFORE you bring it home. Ask the store to let you see it eat before purchasing it.

You might want to check with the store abouyt their warranty, as well. Many places have a 30 day warranty. They might refund your money since the snake never ate for you.

bluetattoo
10-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks Terri,

I am new to all this and suppose Imy lack of knowledge and experience contributed. Someone more experienced could probably have read the signs better and had a different outcome. I must admit that to lose him after just three weeks was a bit of a shock, but I suppose the stress factor on top of not eating was just too much. The sad thing is I would have got the new viv this weekend having got all my cards back!
I would agree strongly with what Kathy Love says in a post I found today advising that anyone new to herping should stick hard and fast to the basic rules to start with until they get some experience of their own and knowledge of their snakes before deviating from the norm in any way. With hindsight I know that stress was caused by having the two snakes together, and if I could have read the signs could maybe have changed the outcome. I have learnt by my mistakes, sad as it is.
I'm now gonna concentrate all my efforts on Azrael, and ensure that all is well with him before getting another..........but I can assure you I WILL be getting another.....they are definitely addictive....and the new one will get all the benefit of everything I'm learning now
Off to prepare Azraels gourmet dinner now!

Blue

CAV
10-27-2003, 09:43 AM
I am new to all this and suppose my lack of knowledge and experience contributed. Someone more experienced could probably have read the signs better and had a different outcome.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. Most of us with more than a few corns have lost one or two. Sometimes it is just meant to be and nothing that you do (or don't do) will change that.

I lost a hatchling this year for no discernable reason. She was eating 2x/week and was housed in an individual container. With that said, I have 19 others that are doing just fine. Just goes to show you that nature is still a force that mortal man can't tame. :)

bluetattoo
10-27-2003, 03:26 PM
Cheers CAV.

I've slipped off the hair shirt and cut back on the self flagellation now (back to special occasions only!!!!).

'Tis true that some things are meant to be, but a hard lesson to learn, but at least I can carry my experience forward and I'm cheered by the fact that Azrael seems to be doing grand, and has just had his second double pinkie dinner with no probs.

Glad to hear you have so many doing so well. Hope all continue to thrive.

Happy herping

Blue.