PDA

View Full Version : Refuses to shed?

Refuses to shed?

lucia
08-07-2009, 08:47 AM
I have a friend whose adult cornsnake have shed every month the last three times!?? Not whole skins and now he is in sheddingmode once again!? but he refuses to shed. Why is that??

He is VERY nervous and she canīt pick him out from the terrarium, he eats but only at night in his place. (He lives alone)
She hasenīt seen any damages on his body or mites.

(Sorry for my bad english, hope youīll understand)

Khaos
08-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Lol Your english is just fine!
How long has he been in shedding mode?
Because, when mine went blue then cleared up it was almost 2 weeks before she shed.
Do you know what humidity his terrarium is at? Or if he has a shed box?

lucia
08-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Great!

Iīm not a beginner and neither is my friend :)
But we canīt understand whatīs wrong with him, he has great living conditions with a shedbox, but he is too affraid to shed his skin. :(

I have had cornsnakes and other reptiles for 9 years and I have never seen that behavior before, I really want to help him but Iīm not a vet.
He bites and rattles and she canīt even take him out.

The snake has now been very dark for several weeks without shedding. He has a shed box AND sheīs spraying water every day.

medusacoils
08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
I have a snake that is a problem shedder. Regardless of what I do, he always seems to give us a problem around shedding time. Maybe, like mine, he is just predisposed to having this problem? As long as you can get all the little pieces off, it should be OK.

Wayne

lucia
08-07-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a snake that is a problem shedder. Regardless of what I do, he always seems to give us a problem around shedding time. Maybe, like mine, he is just predisposed to having this problem? As long as you can get all the little pieces off, it should be OK.

Wayne

Yes maybe, but I know he has been shedding very well before. It is very sad to see, and I donīt know how to help him. Heīs slippery as an eel and bites as soon weīre getting to close.
I have to hold on to his head and look at him, cause something is wrong and he donīt feel any better.
I donīt want to stress him to death.