PDA

View Full Version : 50% bad feeders

50% bad feeders

fluffyboa
10-28-2003, 04:01 AM
hi,

i am tryin to get my head around what to me seems to me to be a problem with bloodreds and feeding.

i know they are renowned for being problematic and i just wondered what experiences people were having. and if it is a weaker line over here in the uk.

a friend of mine hatched a clutch with 50% still not feeding around 5 months later, and i wondered if this was a high percentage.

many thanks

limey
10-28-2003, 08:25 AM
i think we just suffer with inbreeding over here. If it makes you feel any better all my amel stripe males babies were a nightmare to get going i think i hatched about 26 that were his and only about 15 of them took food off there own accord the rest took forever to get feeding and as you might have guessed about 7 (still one left) died refusing everything we offered them (the only thing we couldnt get was live baby anoles - and i am not sure that i would feed corns lizards over here as it would just cuase alot more headaches later on). i guess some of the little guys werent supposed to make it.

And 50% doesnt sound to bad (although admittly alot of clutches have 90-100% sucess rate), if it keeps happening put it donw to inbreeding - try differnet set ups for the hatchlings next time or a differnet temp etc etc until you have covered all the angles.

Good luck

carol
10-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Just make sure they are all housed alone, and try and feed them some small lizards or lizard parts. Marcel has suggested chick legs, and I have had luck with guinea pig scented. If you do a search on problem feeders, you will find an abundance of advice. Good Luck!

pipatic
11-01-2003, 04:22 PM
think what fluffyboa is saying is it just bloodreds that are problem feeders,

i think not, and have had varouis morphs of corns, feed straight away but other's not feed without help,
but its also they same with some pythons/boa too,

so to answer fluffyboa, no its not just bloodreds,
anyone else agree or disagree...

fluffyboa
11-02-2003, 01:19 AM
Hi Pipatic,

Thats not what im saying at all, as you well know......lol.

What im saying is, Bloodreds seem to be worse than most other morphs. Of course others do have problem feeders, but there seems to be more of a problem with bloodreds.

If this wasnt the case, why are they renowned for being problem feeders?

pipatic
11-02-2003, 03:20 AM
well like i said its not just bloodreds,they used to have a repatation for being difficult feeders in the beginning ,ie they prefered anoles ,
even at 50% not feeding yet i have had worse and better over the years.

paulc
11-02-2003, 03:43 AM
I have found some motleys to be difficult 1 of my females have large clutches (24 & 32 younge) but could only get about 30% feeding after trying every thing ( f/t, live, brained anole senting ect.), needless to say I don't use her for breeding any more.
I don't just think it is Blood reds you just get bad ones from any morph.
It may be hereditary as the motley in ? was a slow starter. My other motleys are fine they come from a different line, no problems feeding.