PDA

View Full Version : cloudy eye cap

cloudy eye cap

scubadiver
08-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I don't think it is a unshed eye cap because I have been checking her sheds and they have both of the eye caps there but her left eye has more of a cloudy blue look to it. Is this a normal problem for charcoals? She is a little more than a year old, eats and sheds great never had trouble. I have been keeping an eye on her for about 3 months with this problem. My dad said give it time and know I'm starting to get conserned. Any informaton would be great if it would help I could try to get a picture of her.

marike
08-12-2009, 04:31 AM
Maybe she injured the eye (accidentally banged her head or scratched the eye cap somewhere or she fell off a climbing branch) and somehow it doesn't heal.
If you are worried, the best will be you get her to a vet and let him check out the problem.

I've got no experience with charcoals, but I never head of a problem with that before.

bitsy
08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Is the eye an even greyish colour all over, or does it seem to be concentrated in one spot on the eye, or be mottled?

scubadiver
08-13-2009, 01:06 AM
It seems to be a sold greyish color just like when they are in blue. Which is why I though she just didn't shed the eye cap before. I would post a picture but I just fed her yesterday so I would rather not stress her right now.

bitsy
08-13-2009, 02:18 PM
It does sound more like a retained eye cap. One of mine has cataracts and they have an uneven mottled appearance.

My advice would be to watch the next shed very carefully - if the eye cap comes off and the eye underneath is still grey, then I think a trip to the vet is in order to get it checked. In the meantime, look out for swelling in or around the eye. Any sign of that could indicate an injury, tumour or infection, so that would indicate a trip to the vet as well.

If you do visit the vet, a good tip is to keep the next shed so that you can show it to him/her. I'm sure they hear "But the eye cap came off OK", all the time. Having the proof with you will make sure that s/he starts thinking of alternatives immediately, instead of sending you away with instructions to return if it doesn't improve after another shed.