• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New mommy feeding paranoia

Hail_Britannia

Animals > People.
So, we tried to give Cornwallis his first meal tonight. He's a little over two weeks old, has never eaten in his life. I warmed the pink and dipped it in hot water, and placed him with it in a small cup. Nothing. I tried bumping the pink against his nose...nothing. We put him in the cup with the pink (lid on) and placed him in a dark closet for about 20 minutes. Nothing. I've cut a small slit in the pink's back and placed him and it in a paper bag, and they're now sitting in his viv for the night.

Now I did plenty of searches on feeding problems on the site, so I know I shouldn't be panicking yet...but I can't help it. I'd just feel so much better if he'd eat something. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance....how long does it usually take for hatchlings to eat their first meal? Has anybody had baby snakes who went on to eat normally after a few weeks? And how long can a baby snake go without anything to eat? I'm just terrified he's going to starve. It probably doesn't help that this is our first snake. We weighed him, and he weighs about 6 grams. Do you guys think he'll be okay for a bit without anything in his poor little tummy?

I've had a couple of hatchlings in the past take 4 to 6 weeks before taking their first feed and they went on to eat normally afterwards. Don't forget they usually hatch out with a nice yolk in their tummy from inside the egg, so that keeps them going for a little while.

The trick is to not try feeding too often, just once every 4 to 6 days is what I would try, if they refuse, and don't try too many tricks at each attempt, as that can cause too much stress and they can sometimes then associate feeding with stress. Also try not to disturb the little one too much between feeding attempts and definitely no handling, except for cleaning and watering purposes, until it has established a good feeding routine.

One other thing to do while waiting between attempts, is to double check the temperatures of the warm and cool end, as sometimes a little one won't feed if the temps are too hot or too cool.

Hope that helps a little and good luck! Keep us posted too! :)

Fantastic news! After reading your post, Susielea, I decided to let Cornwallis out of the bag and try again another day. Well, when I did that, I realized...there was a mouse in his belly! I'm so relieved. Of course, now I realize I should have let him come out of the bag on his own, and not lifted him out, but...live and learn. Hopefully it won't bother him too much. When back in his viv he made a beeline to bury himself in the aspen...I think he's had enough of us for one day :) So, all's well that ends well...provided he doesn't regurge. *crosses fingers*

Congrats, I'm glad to hear that he ate for you. :) I lift my snakes out of their feeding box to put them away and haven't had any regurge, so try not to stress.....I know that's easier said than done. :)

I couldn't be more pleased, really. Ever since we got him I've been paranoid that we wouldn't be able to get him to eat anything. Now, after he digests, we can work on acclimating him to being held. He's never bitten us, but you can tell he's nervous being held, but hopefully as he gets older that will get better.

It is good to wait one month before you start to handle the little one, because he need some time to get used of the viv and he had not yet established a feeding routine.

Back