PDA

View Full Version : drama continued

drama continued

bobicus880
08-15-2009, 09:28 PM
as some of you may have read my snake partially regurged last week. I have just tried feeding him again today as it is his normal schedule. He struck the pinkie then just left it. I tried again, and bam a strike and nothing.

My plan now is to wait till wensday to feed him again (5 days)

How long can a 6 month old snake go without food?
Im starting to get more and more worried.

Is it best not to handle him at all, and try to leave him alone at all times?

Also is around 86 degrees too warm? Florida is heating up, and my air conditioning is horrible.

Lennycorn
08-15-2009, 09:37 PM
You should wait ten days till feeding again, then a much smaller food item.
They can go a long time with out food so don't rush this.
I wouldn't handle him till he feeding is back to normal.

check out Kathy Love thought on this in the Health Issues/Feeding Problems stickys'

bobicus880
08-16-2009, 09:09 AM
alright, and whats your view on wild caught anoles?

Lennycorn
08-16-2009, 09:15 AM
alright, and whats your view on wild caught anoles?

Oh they are fun to catch but I wouldn't feed them to my snakes.

starsevol
08-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Oh they are fun to catch but I wouldn't feed them to my snakes.

Yeah, a parasite load on top of a regurge would be a real fun time.....

Nanci
08-16-2009, 09:30 AM
My view on feeding anoles, wild-caught or not, is it's like feeding a pet to your snake. Like feeding a cat to a dog. I feel sorry for the anoles, and think they should only be used as a last resort to save the life of a hatchling snake that won't eat anything else.

starsevol
08-16-2009, 09:32 AM
My view on feeding anoles, wild-caught or not, is it's like feeding a pet to your snake. Like feeding a cat to a dog. I feel sorry for the anoles, and think they should only be used as a last resort to save the life of a hatchling snake that won't eat anything else.

I am wierd or something. I feel less sorry for the anoles, because rodents are smarter than anoles are. But I feel sorry for anything fed live, no matter what it is. And feeding anything wild caught is just asking for trouble....

Nanci
08-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Well, I'm just lucky I don't have to feed rats, that's all I can say! I don't think rabbits would bother me. Birds might.

Lennycorn
08-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Well, I'm just lucky I don't have to feed rats, that's all I can say! I don't think rabbits would bother me. Birds might.

If you had too. Pre-cull might be easier to feed tho.

starsevol
08-16-2009, 10:26 AM
As Janine says..."mice mice they taste so nice"...
:)

bobicus880
08-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Ya I'll try a live pinkie as a last resort then a live anole as a last last resort. Those things are so abundant here though. They cause a lot of trouble for the locals . One last thing....You guys say to try a smaller food, what should I use that is smaller than pinkies.....Pinkie Heads?

Lennycorn
08-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Ya I'll try a live pinkie as a last resort then a live anole as a last last resort. Those things are so abundant here though. They cause a lot of trouble for the locals . One last thing....You guys say to try a smaller food, what should I use that is smaller than pinkies.....Pinkie Heads?

Yep! ........

bobicus880
08-16-2009, 03:45 PM
.......... and how would I go about getting him to eat a head? (how would I dangle, wiggle, and hold it with my holding device?) or if I just leave it with him in a small plastic shoebox will he it then without my wiggling?

Nanci
08-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Just leave him alone with it in a deli cup with holes, covered.

How can anoles cause trouble??

bobicus880
08-16-2009, 06:22 PM
oh we used to have these nice little green anoles, and little ring neck snakes. Then once the mean old brown anoles escaped from the pet trade the "locals" began dissapearing. I used to catch green anoles all the time....I have seen one in the past 5 years. Same with ring necks. Only I saw them a little less frequently. I think its funny that you see them as pets. Although my cousin did bring some of my backyard brown anoles back to Michigan where they breed like crazy for him in glass tanks.

bobicus880
08-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I should also say that only the slow small and stupid got eatin. What really happend was that the brown anoles out competed them. So I figure a little snake justice is just what the doctor ordered. However there are those things known as parasites. Maby I'll give my cousin a ring. He already has like 5 generations of captive anoles plus the eggs were sperated from the wild parents so that means no parasites (or fewer). I have read that some people use just the tail to entice picky eaters. Also others even use anoles as monthly treats. I suppose these are not wild caught but in some pet stores you would be surprised.

My snake is doing fine by the way. He is out, and about as usual. So I guess waiting ten days won't bother me too much with peace of mind. I still am trying to figure out what caused his regurge, and refusal to eat. He's not ready to shed plus there is no way
HE is gravid......that would scare me even more.