PDA

View Full Version : my snake is different

my snake is different

ortega2
10-30-2003, 10:23 AM
I have had Ortega since March (so almost 8 months). He (actually I'm not sure is it is a he) is very friendly and likes to be handled. I have gone through a serious problem with Ortega. In July he stopped eating. I took him to the vet two months later and was told the little guy was almost dead. He weighed a merly 1.2 grams. The docter gave me antibiotics and anorexic dog food. I administered the antibiotics orally every other day for over 3 weeks. He was being force fed dog food for a month and a half. This was a gruling job for me, but it all paid off. At the end of the program he ate a mouse again. He has eaten three time since, but regurgitated half of the last fuzzie (which had been the largest food item i offered him). Now I am applying the 10 day regurgitation rule. He should be fine after that i hope.

I measure him to be about 16" long. After 8 months and however old he was when i got him, is that not abnormally small? My friend has a 1 yr old corn that is easly 5 times the size of mine! Should I be concerned? That is the story of my snake, can anybody relate or tell me if it is ok that he is so small?

bmm
10-30-2003, 10:42 AM
You say in the same story that this snake likes to be handled and has an eating problem. That could be a small part of your problem in itself. Snakes, *especially* hatchlings should not be handled if they have an eating problem, they shouldn't be handled at all actually. Like never. At least until they start eating. If he goes off food again, I would highly recomend you stop handling for a few weeks/months as a first attempt to try something. Did your vet even mention assisted mice feeding? Its also odd he gave you anitbiotics for a non-feeder. Did he have an infection? Sorry just a few really odd things your vet did. :)

Anyways yes he is a little small, maybe. They all grow at different rates. But your little guy went through a lot and its no surprise what size he is now. :D Good luck with him!

bmm

Steve H
10-31-2003, 08:13 AM
I agree don't handle him until he is eating and holding down his meals regularly (disturb him as little as possible).

I got an amel hatchling last march and it took awhile to get her to hold down her meals. She seemed to regurg 2 out of every 3 meals. I left her completely alone except to change her water and feed her. I also gave her extra small meals until she was holding everything down.
As of now she is probably one of my best eaters and hasn't regurged in 4 months. She's smaller than most of the other ones I have that are her age, but she is catching up quick.

Good Luck

Iris
10-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Size doesn't matter as long as he is healthy. Try to establish good feeding habits first, and then worry about size.
I agree about the handling- it's more stressful to the hatchling than people think.
Try feeding a smaller mouse next time- he'll probably hold that down.

ortega2
12-10-2003, 01:11 PM
ortega is still sick,. He has regurgitated his last three meals. He was just recovering and did not have that much weight to begin with. I am scared that is he does not hold down the next meal he will be on the brink of starvation. I have been applying the 10 day rule, i don't know whats wrong. Two dayz after he spits up the pinky, and it practicly looks the same as when he ate it. Should i feed him just a head or something and see if he can hold that down? what should i do?

niki
12-10-2003, 01:47 PM
My corns had fourteen hatchlings twelve have been re homed and two unfortunately died i tried feeding them small pieces after everything else failed they did hold the food down but sometimes i think theres not much else you can do. Try a warm pinky and leave the snake in a small ventilated tub in your vivarium.
wish you good luck

ortega2
12-10-2003, 01:51 PM
I really want him to survive, if he does not eat soon will he die of starvation? what should i do if he is starving, watch?

niki
12-10-2003, 01:58 PM
im not suggesting you watch him die just saying what i done with mine. im not an expert so youll probablly get more ideas than mine. I know how u feel though its a nightmare watching them get so weak and thin.

rachel132002
12-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Hmm if he's on fuzzys how bout trying one pink every week at least it's SOMETHING maybe useless but worth a shot, if you feel not try the head thing EVERYTHING is worth a go cuz it may be that one pointless seeming thing that does something.

Rachel

bmm
12-10-2003, 03:41 PM
I agree, do not even attempt a fuzzy for this snake.

Purchase pinkies, better yet, DAY OLD pinkies. A little pet shop searching should end up with a store with a few day old pinkies. they are much smaller.

Do NOT touch this animal at all. Clean his cage as little as possible, which should be hardly ever if he isn't eating.....cover 75% or more of his cage with a dark towel or something dark. It sounds like this snake should have been given Flagyl as well which is a medication a vet can give you.

I hope someone else has more tips for you, although in the end sometimes, some aren't meant to make it. But i really hope he does. Good luck.

Marisa

Ice9
12-10-2003, 05:02 PM
yeah good luck ... fingers crossed!:(

paulh
12-10-2003, 05:47 PM
First thing I'd check is the temperature. If it's less than 82 F, I'd raise it. The problem may be something else, but I haven't seen temperature mentioned in this thread. Besides, it's easy to check. Good luck.

Rachel
12-11-2003, 07:33 AM
As Bmm stated with getting Flagyl, I'd suggest a parasite check too. Your vet can do this if you bring her/him a faecal sample from your snake. Good luck...

sychoram
12-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Would parasites be an issue?? Since most corns are now captive bred?? Unless the previous owner was feeding anoles or something. Just wondering. I hope you precious little one pulls through this. Got my fingers crossed for both of ya

Thank You
James Maloy