PDA

View Full Version : just another re-gurge, my frustrated rant.

just another re-gurge, my frustrated rant.

v_various
08-19-2009, 12:14 PM
dang it!
FinFang is such a little puker. I cleaned out his viv last night, I wasn't sure if it was regurge or not. I mean, it didn't smell at all (ya, it was fresh). It was mostly furry mush and a lot of clear, slightly mucousy liquid. Maaaaaaybe it's not regurge.

Oh no, of course it is. Because after I clean out his viv, I put him back in, he drinks a bit of water and regurges that.

Keep in mind, I last fed him 5 days ago, and he's in blue so I've not been handling him at all either. Even when I cleaned out his viv, I just gently got him out, put him in a shirt that was on my bed, and left him until I was done.

I thought I was done with his regurges. I did take him to a vet a while ago, he got panacur and has been fine since then. I don't know. It's just frustrating. And compared to Amel Boy, he's growing SO slow. Grrrrrrrrr. I just want him to be healthy ;_;

Rich in KY
08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Poor FinFang :(

I hope everything is ok with the lil'guy!

Nanci
08-19-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry. Maybe it was just because he was blue.

northwestcorns
08-19-2009, 03:15 PM
I would have the vet do a test for crypto on the regurg contents. You can put them in the fridge and get them to him still wet.

Otherwise, wait 7-10 days to try again. Give him a smaller food item. AND I'd give his gut a boost with some Nutribac.

More than one regurg in a row is NOT good.

That being said, they will often regurg when they're blue. Just make sure that you wait and do the smaller food item when you do feed him. The mucus tells me that he actually got this into his gut and evacuated a lot of the contents in there when he spewed.

Good Luck

diamondlil
08-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Poor little chap, hope he's better soon.

v_various
08-19-2009, 04:40 PM
I would have the vet do a test for crypto on the regurg contents. You can put them in the fridge and get them to him still wet.

Otherwise, wait 7-10 days to try again. Give him a smaller food item. AND I'd give his gut a boost with some Nutribac.

More than one regurg in a row is NOT good.

That being said, they will often regurg when they're blue. Just make sure that you wait and do the smaller food item when you do feed him. The mucus tells me that he actually got this into his gut and evacuated a lot of the contents in there when he spewed.

Good Luck

Well, there's no gastric swelling, so crypto is just a big a "maybe" in a list of possible ailments - nothing really points to it any more than it points to anything else. And I would have hoped the vet would have caught it when I first brought FinFang in, if that was the problem. But who knows.

I do know what to do for regurges, I've been a member here a long time and I've gone through this before with him. I know more than one isn't good - that's why I took him to the vet last time. He had three in a row and no husbandry issues I could identify (as well as having random regurges through out his life, but rarely and he was always fine after I did the required wait time before the next feeding)

I've never heard of them regurging because they're blue, either way, FinFang has always eaten fine in blue before and has a problem regurging in the past (usually when not in blue) so I doubt that's the case here; his history just doesn't allow me to assume that.

I'm not sure it was mucus, I'm just trying to describe the weird...gelatinous? Liquid around the fur-mush. I still can't think of any reason why it didn't smell at all, like, I stuck my head in there and it didn't smell. I didn't even think I needed to clean his viv, thankfully I needed to clean Thani's tank and saw the mess.

Uggggggghhhhhhh
I'm so frustrated with him.

diamondlil
08-19-2009, 04:57 PM
After you follow the whole regurge protocol..........etc, does he manage to work up to full-size prey or does he regurge smaller ones too?
Didn't Nanci feed smaller prey for a long time to one of her snakes that was a chronic regurger too?
(I'm sorry if it wasn't Nanci, I may have misremembered)

Nanci
08-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah, that's me. No explanation there, either. No swelling in the stomach area.

diamondlil
08-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah, that's me. No explanation there, either. No swelling in the stomach area.
Which snake of yours was it Nanci, and is it a normal feeder now?

PJ@PJCReptiles
08-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Good question Janine!

I do have a few that will eat at the same time, that night, or the next day and they dont regurge. But I do have the occassional yearling or younger be out of blue and shed just after eating and they regurge. Yet none of them have been regular regurgers.

I do know that parasites and other alignments can lead to a bad in over time, including over years. I can not say for sure why. I do believe that Cryto can be seen with such early signs. I have read in depths on snake diseases. I need to know what could be out and what to look for.

How old is this lil guy anyways? I do wish you and your lil one the best!! I will keep an eye on this post for further reference.

Chin Up
PJ

Nanci
08-19-2009, 08:07 PM
It's Maizey. He can't eat anything bigger than a hopper without regurging. After trying to work him back up to adults two or three times, I quit. He's been dewormed and grams stained and everything. He eats three small prey items at a time, fuzzies or hoppers. I treat him as if he has ebola- very strict isolation just in case. He's never had an abnormal bowel movement, seems normal in every other way except he can't tolerate appropriate-sized prey. It all started when I fed him a mouse that was obviously too large, that he struggled to get down, that now I would NEVER attempt to feed, but that all happened when I was very new to it all. He's a LTC, BTW. Four years.

northwestcorns
08-20-2009, 12:29 AM
I definitely am not trying to step on anyone's toes. I only brought up crypto because it happened to me with two different animals at different stages in their lives, and one of them never developed a lump.
My vet said that the only way to get a good diagnosis was with a fresh regurg.
Anyway, eventually my Trixie (a 2 1/2 foot anery) couldn't even hold down a tiny pinky despite the regurg protocols she was on. My vet, who has his degree in Herpetology AND Vet medicine, told me then that one regurg with a known cause (blue, too cold, handled too soon) is okay. Two I should question. Three, I should be VERY concerned.

Geez, I miss that vet in VA. The only one here in WA that I can go to "likes" herps, but I think he got all of his "herp vet" skills from the "What's Wrong with My Snake" book. It's a good book, but sometimes I think he's running back to consult it while I'm there. I swear he comes in and gives me direct quotes that I can practically underline in my book at home.

1TimeMoM
08-20-2009, 01:14 AM
this happened to my amel a few weeks ago.. I was thinking it was a regurge also.. it was a slim fur ball type thing... it didnt smell.. but whiskeys wasnt slimy it was wet but not slimy or anything he had other poop in his tank also... he never regurged his water or anything.. quite a few members on here told me that it was probably just poop... I am a first time owner and it was his first fuzzy.. I havent fed since then due to him being over weight and was advised to wait awhile to feed him again he is due for a meal tomorrow... Hopefully it goes well.. I wish u and ur baby the best of luck all will be fine!

v_various
08-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Nanci, my friend has the same problem with one of her snakes, can't handle the right size prey.

Anyway, FinFang is 3 years old. Thing is, he is also throwing up water. Fed him 5 days ago, regurge, clean the regurge from his tank, since he's "woken up" he drank some water than regurged that.

There was that one time he regurged 3 times in a row, when I was feeding him tiny prey with long intervals - so I'm not sure it's that. I was recently feeding him adult mice, but I'm sticking him on Juvies for like, forever now >: (

I've also been chasing down some Nutribac, so maybe that will help things.

My friend just had two of his 2 year old corn snakes die on him, suddenly. So I might be a little overly freaked out because of that too. I just keep picturing coming home to a dead FinFang.