PDA

View Full Version : What to do about feeding "upgrade"

What to do about feeding "upgrade"

MyLittleGuyCyrus
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi all!

I have been feeding Cyrus 1 fuzzy and 2 pinkies every 7 days. After about 1 to 1.5 days the lump is all but gone.....not to mention he hasn't gained weight in like the last 3 feeds (78 grams). I was told to keep doing this until all the pinkies are gone....and I am fine with that, UNLESS it is not promoting great health for him (this is of the utmost importance to me).

Anyway, my question is: Is it ok to keep doing this feeding schedule (1 fuzzy, 2 pinks every 7 days) or should I feed him more like every 5 days (1 fuzzy & 2 pinks) OR should I just dump the pinkies and start him in on hoppers.

Again, I want whatever is best for Cyrus......please help me with what that is!!

Thanks!

airenlow
08-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I would move up to hoppers if you think he can handle it. Then after a few feedings you can supplement the hopper with a pinky to get rid of them. There is always the option of getting another hatchling to eat the extra pinkies!

VickyChaiTea
08-19-2009, 06:51 PM
How big is the snake? If the lump is disappearing that soon, you should probably go on to hoppers... but I'm no expert.

MyLittleGuyCyrus
08-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I am not sure how big an actual hopper is so I will probably just get a pack of them and set them next to Cyrus' tummy and compare them. If it looks good I'll do what airenlow said and do the pinky thing a bit later....if they seem too big then I'll hang tight a bit longer with the fuzzy/pinky combo! THANKS ALL!

Nanci
08-19-2009, 08:15 PM
How many pinks do you have left?? He sounds like he's about El Wray's size, maybe a titch bigger. El Wray just moved to hoppers, and I'm picking out the smallest ones to feed him. I think, if you look at say The Mouse Factory's website, and compare the weights of pinks, fuzzys, hoppers, (or weigh them yourself) and if your three prey items are adding up to the weight of a hopper, I'd just use up your food and not waste it. I wouldn't go to a shorter interval feeding three prey items. Not sure why- since it seems like it should be easier to digest three small rather than one large, but it's just a feeling I get. I feed several snakes three items, but it is at a seven day interval. Do you slit your mice? That might speed up the growth rate. But- is fast growth optimal? I think slow and steady is better. Although I feed the Munson Chart but about a step behind, my snakes all seem to be very fast growers. I attribute that to slitting the mice, and I stop that after the snake is on adult mice.

MyLittleGuyCyrus
08-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I am only concerned about his weight because someone told me on here that once Cyrus moved up to fuzzy he would start growing really fast. I'll be honest, I don't care if he's a runt, as long as he is healthy! That is my one and only concern for him. The only reason I mentioned that he hasn't put on weight in the last three feeds is I was told he would gain weight with every feed.

If you feel he is getting all the nutrition he needs right now from a fuzzy and 2 pinks I am perfectly contect giving him this until the pinks are gone (I have about 36-38 more pinks left). Let me know!

glenhead
08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
I agree with Nanci. A snake doesn't care if it eats one big thing or four little things. If the food goes in one end and comes out the other as a combo waste product, and his weight isn't dropping, he's getting nutrition.

Three small things do indeed process faster than one big bolus, so more frequent feedings might work, or perhaps add another pinkie. The snake will quit eating when it's had enough.