PDA

View Full Version : They Ate!

They Ate!

Ruderacer
08-21-2009, 04:49 PM
2 of our non feeders hatchlings ate today after 2 months! I was out back doing some yard work and caught 2 baby fence lizards. I thought I would give it a try before I give the snakes to Donna brother. As soon as I put the lizards in their cages, the snakes went into hunt mode. Within minutes no more lizards. Maybe this will break the hunger strike they have been on. We tried everything that had been suggested. I know I shouldn't feed them wild caught lizards but it was a last ditch effort. :shrugs:

tink
08-21-2009, 06:39 PM
congrats! you could feed them anoles...there are some ppl that feed their corns that... guess its a healthy enough diet...and maybe they will go on to feeding on rodents

VickyChaiTea
08-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Well, whatever works lol. Try buying anoles though, as I see you know wild lizards can have diseases/whatever.

ceduke
08-21-2009, 11:54 PM
:cheers: Congratulations!!!

Jenstar
08-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Congrats Skip... I need to get some llizards as well for my non-feeders. :)

jpichie
08-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Have you tried with ASFs yet? I read that non-feeders will sometimes feed on ASFs.

Ruderacer
08-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I have not. I guess I should check around to see if I can find any in the San Diego area and give them a try. I was just happy to see them eat anything.

diamondlil
08-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Congrats! Maybe they'll take kizard-scented soon!

Jenstar
08-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I have not. I guess I should check around to see if I can find any in the San Diego area and give them a try. I was just happy to see them eat anything.

I believe they are illegal (like everything else cool) in California. :(

Susielea
08-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Maybe you could try to catch another couple of fence lizards, euthanise them, then freeze them. When you next feed the babies, partially defrost the lizard, slit the skin open somewhere and rub a defrosted pink on the fluid just under the skin. Maybe that will trick them into eating pinks for you :)

You can refreeze the lizard and get a few more uses out of it before you need to bin it. I've done this with a dead gecko before and it got some really stubborn feeders going, who went on to thrive on plain ole mice :)

Good luck!

DuneDiva
08-22-2009, 09:27 PM
We are so excited -- all four non-feeders have now eaten (all fence lizards). Now to catch a larger for future scenting of mice. Hopefully they will stay on the right track and become regular eaters. Whoo Hooo!!! :dancer::dancer: