PDA

View Full Version : 4 weeks old and not eating

4 weeks old and not eating

cobra3992
08-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi guys I hate to bother anyone but I am a new father to 6 baby corn snakes I have tried everything to get 4 of them to eat but nothing. 2 have ate just fine, I tried warming in a bag in hot water making sure the pinkies are hot inside and out, opening their heads and pushing out brains, I even tried live pinkies but they do nothing. Oh also have left pinkies in with them over night 2 or 3 times. I have heard somewhere that they can go 4-5 weeks before eating but I am getting worried help please. Thanks, Greg.

gertrude
08-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Hi Greg,
I am having the exact same problem with our baby corn. We have tried everything and so far we have not been successful. I know that is not much help to you. I am taking him back to the shop I purchased him from today to see if they can get him to feed over the next few days. If we have any success I will let you know.

Have you tried soaking the pinky in chicken stock. It didn't work for us but I have heard that it has worked for others. It's all worth a try.

Good Luck
Carly

sparks37
08-25-2009, 09:51 AM
My new hatchling had also been a hunger strike for several weeks. I finally got it to eat last week by leaving it overnight in a paper bag (that I left in the viv) with a f/t pinky. Instead of scenting the pinky, I washed it with Ivory soap.

cobra3992
08-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Gertrude, no I did not try chicken stock but I am going to try again tonight and I will try it. Sparks37 pardon the ignorance but what is a f/t pinky and I've never heard of washing it in ivory soap, what does that do? Thanks

sparks37
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
f/t = frozen/thawed. I was just clarifying that I didn't use live, though I was getting pretty close to resorting to it. For whatever reason, sometimes unscenting the pinky can work as well as scenting it, so washing it with plain soap can work (rinse well!). There are a lot of threads on different techniques for getting hatchlings to eat if you search around a bit.