PDA

View Full Version : Quick pinkie question

Quick pinkie question

Hail_Britannia
08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
So, it seems when we feed Cornwallis, our nearly 1 month old baby corn snake, that the "mouse lump" is gone much quicker than I'd expect. It's nowhere to be seen by the next evening after he's been fed. Actually, it's not as noticeable as I would expect right after he's eaten, either. I mean, you can see it, but I guess I expected something more dramatic. We're following the Munson plan, and as he still only weighs about 8 grams it would seem it isn't time to move him up to 2 pinkies just yet. He isn't regurging, as there's no smell and I've never found any "surprises" in his cage. His IS pooping, because I do find those.

So I guess my question is, is it common for pinkie mice to be digested so quickly? I did read somewhere that was the case, and I'm just seeking confirmation. I just want to make sure we're feeding the little lad enough. This past feeding was only his third ever, so it's possible (probable) that I'm just being paranoid. Oh, and our mice come from Loxahatchee Rodents, if that's relevant.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

glenhead
08-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Pinkies vaporize. That's my theory, and I'm stickin' with it. Feed a snake, and watch the magic pinkie lump disappear before your eyes! Yeah, it's just weird. I've always attributed it to the pink's bones not being alll grown up and boney, so they dissolve and squoosh (that's the highly technical term). Sounds like your little guy is doing well! And remember - just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. You're showing patience, and learning from the snake...

Hail_Britannia
08-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks :) I mean, I figured as much, and it does make sense, but I just figured I should check. I appreciate the help!

pwargcm
08-26-2009, 12:03 AM
i always thought then when feeding smaller the lump will kind of spread out acrossed their body. the bones arent developed and i bet it doesnt take long to digest some of the pink skin so then it all just spreads out. how long does it take him before he poops out that meal? id say stick with one pink. weigh them actually, and try to step up pink size maybe. could have some small ones. sounds good to me though to stick with one pink.

Hail_Britannia
08-26-2009, 12:30 AM
You know, I'm not sure exactly how long it takes him to poop, since I often don't find the poops for a few days (they're so small, and it seems like he's using nearly all of the pinkie for nutrients so there isn't much waste), but we feed him every 5 days and I usually find his poops when I go through the viv on feeding days. I think I'll keep things as they are for now, he seems to be doing quite well. I just wanted to make sure this was a common experience when feeding pinkie mice. My only quibble with Cornwallis so far is that he won't eat unless we put him in a brown paper bag...little squirt...we want to watch! But, I see so many threads on here about people who can't get their baby snakes to eat at all, that I'm certainly not going to whine about that :)

haydnrobinson
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
You know, I'm not sure exactly how long it takes him to poop, since I often don't find the poops for a few days (they're so small, and it seems like he's using nearly all of the pinkie for nutrients so there isn't much waste), but we feed him every 5 days and I usually find his poops when I go through the viv on feeding days. I think I'll keep things as they are for now, he seems to be doing quite well. I just wanted to make sure this was a common experience when feeding pinkie mice. My only quibble with Cornwallis so far is that he won't eat unless we put him in a brown paper bag...little squirt...we want to watch! But, I see so many threads on here about people who can't get their baby snakes to eat at all, that I'm certainly not going to whine about that :)

We had that problem but now the little snakey is 2 months old- almost 3- and he doesn't mind us watching him anymore as long as we're quiet, so hopefully you'll be ok to watch soon :)

Hail_Britannia
08-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I hope that will be the case. If not....well, then I guess we'll just get bigger paper bags :) The important thing is that he eats, anyway.

ceduke
08-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Yep, my little one will have a nice pinkie-bump in the evening and by morning it's almost gone. :)