PDA

View Full Version : No feeding response...

No feeding response...

marinneli
08-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm so frustrated with my yearling Amel Aztec female. She just doesn't show any interest in food what so ever, and it's driving me crazy...

I can't really remember when it turned around (haven't written down every feeding date, my bad), but when she was younger she was a great eater. Never skipped a meal. Now she's just not interested in a mouse. She looks healthy, sheds well (just shed a few days ago) and is very vivid and curious when handled. And when I try to feed her she just seems to have all other things in mind - anything except eating. And even cutting the mouse's nose and squeezing juices out doesn't do any good. It's as if she'd lost her sense of smell!

I tried live mouse once, and that did wake her predatory instincts up - right after she recovered from the shock of food still having a pulse. She stroke and strangled like a pro, and I hoped that would make her more willing to take dead mouse too. It did. But not more than once or twice.

I tried to feed her today, but didn't have any luck. It's been 14 days since she ate the last time! And she's only a yearling and not too large for a yearling either.

I'm running out of tricks. What should I do? Permanently offer her freshly killed or live pray? That would mean selling her away because I don't breed mice and I can't get young live mice on a regular basis.

medusacoils
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Has anything changed? Cage, Furniture, Room, Anything? She may just be going through a spell, but who knows. I have a Nelson's that goes through moods and spells of not eating. She keeps me worried, all the time. Have you thought about a fecal or an exam, just in case?

Hopefully it's nothing!

Wayne

TrpnBils
08-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Same deal with my 4 y.o. male. I was just about to post something very similar when I saw this. I think I agree with the "what changes have been made" question. I just put mine on a shelf next to a 4 y.o. female. He used to sit right on top of her tub, but they couldn't see each other. Have you changed anything?