PDA

View Full Version : High Humidity, low Alt to Low Humidity, high Alt. Shedding problems.

High Humidity, low Alt to Low Humidity, high Alt. Shedding problems.

brad23
08-26-2009, 06:05 PM
So I just moved from Nashville, TN to Jackson Hole, WY. My 1 1/2 yr old striped corn was about to shed the other day and she went clear like I expected, but she hasn't shed. She went a little while without eating when my friend took care of her when I was in Europe. Also, her and her cagemate have been doing nothing but hanging out in their water bowl and I've begun spraying them daily. The heat isn't too much and they've been feeding perfectly fine.

The thing that worries me most is her eyes are a little bulging and they look almost like cartoon eyes. I think she can't get her shed off. BTW she looks gorgeous and vibrant now as if she has just shed. Any suggestions or reasons?

Thanks
Brad

glenhead
08-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Just for the sake of completeness, I'm going to assume you're new to the high-and-dry country.

Water evaporates much faster at altitude than at sea level, and you've already pointed out the much lower humidity. These two things are going to combine to make for a very arid environment compared to a corn snake's natural range, so extra supplementation is going to be necessary at least for a while, and perhaps for good.

A hygrometer would be a really good investment. Try to keep the snake's enclosure above 40% or so. We have the screen top of our Brazilian rainbow boa's enclosure about 3/4 covered with plastic wrap to keep the humidity up for her. Corn snakes don't need it that wet, but partially covering the enclosure and misting will help stabilize things. That's why I strongly recommend a hygrometer - you don't want things too wet, either, because that can lead to all sorts of nasty skin problems.

My wife helped one of our corn snakes shed last week by putting her in a Glad tub full of damp peat moss for a couple of hours (thanks to Kathy Love for that idea!), then holding her in a damp towel and letting her rub around in it. The snake had already started, and it helped her shrug out of it easily.

Enjoy Wyoming! I grew up in the high and dry (El Paso and Albuquerque) and lived ten years in Denver. I'd move back to that part of the world in a blink.

danielle
08-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Not that this has anything to do with your shedding problem, but you say cagemate- do you cohab your snakes? If so doing a search here on cohabbing is a good idea!!

brad23
08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
alright, I'm headed to Montana this weekend so hopefully I can pick up some peat moss there. Also, I'm only cohabbing at the moment because my other snake rack is in storage and I wasn't able to drive out here with two, but I'll be moving on Monday. Thanks for the help. I'll keep y'all informed whether it works out or not.