PDA

View Full Version : Snake does not constrict before eating...

Snake does not constrict before eating...

themichaelchoi
09-16-2009, 07:20 PM
So, if a hatchling does not constrict the pinky, does that mean the snake does not know how to? Are there snakes that never constrict? Do they have to learn or is it an innate ability?

Criosphynx
09-16-2009, 07:22 PM
som' babies wont if the prey isn't fighting much...constricting takes alot of energy and som' babies choose not to waste their energy if the prey is harmless. :) He will do it as the prey items get bigger :)

Roy Munson
09-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Propensity to constrict is proportional to prey threat. Pinks can be subdued and consumed without risk...

In other words, no worries. Constriction isn't learned. All corns know how to do it if presented with the necessity...

Maligator
09-17-2009, 01:47 AM
I'm so glad someone posted this question! My baby constricted the first day I fed her a f/t pinky, but has not done so since and I've fed her three times since. It's so nice to know that she isn't failing to constrict for any reason other than not needing to.

lesleym
09-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Our big boy, Bob, who we have had for 3 years (found him as an adult), hardly ever constricts anymore. When we first got him we fed him live mice, which he would grab and constrict very efficiently. Then we discovered the wonders of f/t mice! Now, the closest he comes is after he sheds and is really hungry, then he will actually strike and start to constrict. His usual method is to nose the mouse a bit and then leisurely eat it. He's even just opened his mouth and let me place the mouse in for him!

None of the hatchlings constrict, even the fussy eaters that are still on live pinkies. They just grab them and start swallowing.

Lesley

RosieReal
09-17-2009, 01:46 PM
He's even just opened his mouth and let me place the mouse in for him!

Thats really amazing. I'm jelous of your relationship with your snake!:p
my cat lets me clip her nails with no fight...lol...anything is possible with enough time i suppose.

pwargcm
09-17-2009, 03:03 PM
i can tamely feed my adult male, but i dont like to. i make him hunt for a couple days then feed him. of course hes an adult. but he would rather just take the mouse and eat it. hes eaten f/t his whole life and when a hatchling he ate like yours. just consumed the pink. when he moved up to hoppers i would hold onto the mouse and pull it gently and make it jump around making him constrict it. now hes got it down pat. he hits hard and constricts like a boid. at a young age id just be happy theyre eating. a lot of people have problem eaters so be happy on that. but when hes getting up there in prey size make him hunt and become a killer then. if you want him to. some would probably prefer a lame feeder. i like mine to hunt though, more natural.

Caryl
09-17-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm so glad someone posted this question! My baby constricted the first day I fed her a f/t pinky, but has not done so since and I've fed her three times since. It's so nice to know that she isn't failing to constrict for any reason other than not needing to.

My first corn was the same way on his first feeding. He didn't repeat that behaviour until he was older. He was a gift to me and was purchased from a pet store. After having a number of snakes and watching them grow, I believe that that first dramatic feeding was because he was REALLY hungry! That's not the way most hatchlings feed. I usually put on a "zombie mouse dance show" at feeding time to promote hunting behaviour and exercise.