PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal behavior?

Is this normal behavior?

Sweetooth710
09-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I have a hatchling that i've had for almost 3 weeks (first snake), and he hasn't eaten in almost the same time. I fed him fine the day after I got him and he hasn't eaten since. The last time I tried to feed him was last saturday, to no avail. The next day I noticed him swimming around in his water bowl and his color seemed very dull, so I assumed he was about to shed. Ever since sunday he has been extremely inactive. He doesn't cruise around the cage like usual. I never noticed him going into "blue phase" which I thought, happened before they shed. He still hasn't shed in about 5 days since I noticed he looked very dull. I've been looking for his shed and i've come up with nothing, I'm just wondering if his inactiveness is from hunger, or being in shed? How long does this process normally take? I really want him to eat soon, so I don't have to worry about the little guy.

danielle
09-17-2009, 10:25 PM
The shed process can last a pretty long time up to two weeks, but usually more like 10 days. I would only try to feed him once a week to limit stressing him and make sure the pinky is very warm. Just take a frozen pink and leave it in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes, then put the snake in the deli cup you got him in or something similar with small air holes, and put the pink warmed in with him. Do this at night when its dark and leave him alone in silence for an hour. Usually they will scarf it down:)