• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Baby corn

SlamdunkE7

My cat brought me a baby corn snake today. He seems fine, none the worse for wear. I went and got a 5.5 g aquarium, non-cedar forest floor bedding, an undertank heater, a blue kinda light bulb the folks at petsmart says I need, and a little stone water dish and hiding place. As soon as I put him in the substrate he burrowed in and I haven't seen him since!! I got a box of "Artic Mice" frozen pinkies, but they look kind of big. He is about 5 inches long and slightly skinnier than a pencil. What do I do now!!

Oh, his name is Butter Bean. Don't ask. I also have a dog named Peanut, another named Hamburger, and a cat named Bisquit (who apparently is a snake hunter.):awcrap:

How do you know it is a cornsnake? Do you think it is a wild caught snake, or an escaped pet? Is it possible it could be an Eastern Milksnake? I don't think you have naturally-occurring cornsnakes up there.

Anyway, he doesn't need a light. You need to make sure the UTh isn't too hot- did you get a thermostat or a rheostat? You would take the temp of the UTH in the middle of it, rught on the glass. The pinks should be about the same diameter as the snake's body at the widest part. If your mice look too big, you can feed just the heads- cut them off while frozen, save the body, feed that after the snake grows a little. If it's a milksnake, you might have a hard time getting it to eat mice. Can you take pictures of him?

Baby corn snake

It is definately a baby corn snake. The are kind of rare up here, but not unheard of, especially in my area. He has made a couple of "entrances" from under the substrate. I can tell he is upset when I reach in to pick him up because he rattles his tail, but doesn't strike. The heating pad takes up about 1/3rd of the tank, and if I shut the light off it drops to about 70 degrees. If I keep the light on it sticks around 74 degrees. Which is better? He seems to like the warm side, but then again, he has only been in the cage about 6 hours. I just attached a picture I took on my cell phone, but knowing my luck you will be looking at my latest grandchild. I got the message on the "pinkie head" and will try it. Should I let him relax for a couple of days? Should I take him out back and let him free? It is getting awfully cold up here already. . .

Attachments

• downsized_0918092052.jpg
    downsized_0918092052.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 57
No, that looks like an eastern milksnake, not a corn to me.

Attachments

• easternmilksnake.jpg
    easternmilksnake.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 48
  • emilk.JPG
    emilk.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 48
Eastern Milk Snake 100%. I would suggest letting him/her go but do as you please. I accually was just given one by a friend today that is exact same size. I think I am going to let it go back outside as I have 14 snakes and I dont need no mites!:toiletgra

Yeah it's definitely not a corn snake, it's a milk snake. Corn snakes don't naturally live that far north. Eastern Milk Snakes usually aren't too good of feeders, so I would suggest letting it go.

Back