PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the mouse when the snake won't eat?

Leaving the mouse when the snake won't eat?

Doomedgirl
09-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi all,

I've had several snakes in my time and never had a problem eater. This time around, I have a new anery hatching who has been in my house for about 3 weeks now. I have been handling him infrequently to give him time to adjust, keep his light on a timer and keep a close eye on temperature and humidity levels.

Once a week for the past three weeks, I have taken Shiva out, put him in a separate container for feeding and left him alone in the dark. After about an hour, I would check on him, but with no result. I then left him alone for about 2 more hours each time. Still, he didn't eat, so I would try a couple of common fixes and leave him for longer.

How long is it ok for me to leave the pinky in there? I am using thawed frozen food. I've tried braining, I've tried flavoring, I've tried pheremones. No luck. Is it safe to leave a dead rodent in there overnight? Even if I do, how likely is it the snake is going to eat something that's just laying there limp all night?

He still seems active and healthy, so I'm not overly concerned yet, but exactly how long can a hatchling go without food?

RobbiesCornField
09-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I leave them in overnight if I have problem feeders. Sometimes, they just want to be left alone in the dark to eat.

EmJagsz
09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I agree with what Robbie said. Have you tried leaving him alone with it overnight? Corns can go months without food, so if he misses one or two meals, don't be too worried. Has he eaten at all since you got him? Have you tried warming the pinky up really warm and then dancing it infront of him? How big is the container you are putting him into for feeding? Usually a delicup like the one you may have bought him in works very well. It doesn't give them any room to hide from the pinky, so there is more chance he will gobble it up.

One last thing, your little snakey doesn't need an overhead heat light. They don't like those. Try using an under tank heater instead. They need the belly heat to digest their food properly.

wade
09-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I always do what ever Robbie says. I can not imagine any other way.

RobbiesCornField
09-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I always do what ever Robbie says. I can not imagine any other way.

Aw shucks, Wade. There are many times when I would rather default to your judgment and advice.

Doomedgirl
09-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks Robbie, et al. I made the food just a little warmer tonight and instead of a plastic feeding container in a dark room, but my baby in a shoe box with a heavy book on top. BINGO! The combination of slightly warmer prey and a little darker environment was just what the doctor ordered.

I feel so much better now!

Chip
09-25-2009, 11:03 PM
I was gonna say to listen to Robbie. I'm glad it worked out, but still deserve much rep. just for thinkin' that as I read the thread.

RobbiesCornField
09-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Woohoo! I'm glad it worked out for you!

Chip
09-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I've been outta the loop, Robbie. You get an albino Crotalus?

RobbiesCornField
09-26-2009, 08:59 AM
I've been outta the loop, Robbie. You get an albino Crotalus?

I wish! LOL. Nah, it was just a cool pic I took at the Central Florida Zoo in Sanford.

Chip
09-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice picture!