PDA

View Full Version : regular feeder not eating

regular feeder not eating

dara
11-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Hiya.
So my snake has eaten pretty regular, once a week for six weeks or so. This past week he's been hiding out, totally inactive when he's usually out and about. He likes his pinks live and in a paper bag, so that's where he is now, with the mouse. But whereas he usually goes straight for it, today he's just chillin' out in the bag with the pinkie, not even attempting to go for it.

Is this just a seasonal thing?
How long do I leave him in there with the pinkie?
And if he doesn't eat the pink, what in the world do I do with it?

Hmm...as I type this (after about an hour in the bag), I hear him moving around and little scraping mousie feet, I'll peek in a minute. But assuming that he doesn't eat, is it seasonal? Behavioral? Random? Thanks,

Dara

paulh
11-15-2003, 05:45 PM
I wonder when he last shed. Six weeks or better? That might be why he isn't eating now.

dara
11-15-2003, 05:50 PM
actually, he has *never* shed since I've had him, which is surprising to me considering how much he's grown. His humidity is always around 50 or 55. His eyes aren't blue at the moment and he isn't showing any signs of shed.

again the mousie feet are scrambling around but still no eating. He's making a hissing noise which is new but that's about it.

syco
11-16-2003, 01:00 AM
I would bet that he is going into a shed. If he's been eating on a regular basis for 6 weeks and hasn't shed yet it's about time. Sometimes mine stop eating right before their eyes go blue. If he doesn't want to eat, don't stress him out by leaving him with the pinkie, just put him back in his cage and wait a few days.
Let us know what happens.

dara
11-16-2003, 01:14 AM
He has always taken the pinky from the paper bag, it's how I got him to eat in the first place when he refused for weeks. After nearly an hour of him sounding unhappy in there, I took him out of the bag and put him in a smaller shoebox-sized tank, along with the pinky and one of his hides. The mousie was gone in thirty seconds. I guess he was ready to change his feeding habits, but didn't inform me about it. We'll see how he goes next week.

I'm still a bit anxious about the shed, it's been what I feel like is forever. He's grown so much since I first got him but not even signs of shed, unless this new feeding behavior is one of them. I'll update in a few days to see if he's shedding, or just being cantankerous.

dara
11-18-2003, 12:07 AM
Man, it's amazing how right you all have been regarding advice and such. It's now two days later and I have a shed skin and a much less grumpy and much more active snake. Thanks!