PDA

View Full Version : Camera Dillemma

Camera Dillemma

Skyespirit86
09-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Well I have a catalogue full of cameras here, and dont know what one to pick so i can enjoy taking millions more pix of my animals. Something in me has decided to go for a canon. in the past i have always been more impressed by the effect more megapixels have on a picture than other features like zoom X etc. There's one camera with a 26X zoom. Would that really work? Because when i use zoom on digi cameras all i get is a blur99% of the time.

Anyway, I am stuck between a 14.7mp canon with 3.7X zoom and a 12mp canon with 12 X zoom.

Both are hideously expensive, lol.

glenhead
09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
They're both PowerShot cameras with image stabilization. I'm hooked on Canons; we have two DSLRs and one PowerShot. They're all three great cameras, and the user interface is easy to learn and use.

The 12x optical zoom model will give you a nice wide-angle capability, and having optical zoom across that kind of range will be handy for outdoor shots and close-up stuff as well. Optical zoom should be cleaner than digital zoom, as you're using the full capability of the sensor without digital modification. As you've discovered, the longer zoom capability makes it harder to hold steady and get crisp shots, but the image stabilization will help to a degree.

The 14.7 megapixel model is close to the one I have (mine is an older model). It makes danged good pictures, and is really easy to use.

From a fiddle-with perspective, I've found that a lot of people spend an awful lot of time fiddling with zoom capability, frequently to the point of missing a shot. Having a smaller zoom range will cut down on the amount of fiddle-with capability and time, it seems.

Good luck with your decision! As I said, either model will give great results, limited only by your skill level. If I were making the decision for myself, given the relatively small differences and trade-offs, it'd probably come down to going with the less expensive model.

Pruddock
10-05-2009, 10:49 AM
To be honest I absolutely LOVE Canon. I'm a huge Canon person, but with that in mind there isn't going to be more expensive camera brand until you get into medium format cameras which are a whole different ballpark.

That said, you're currently looking at PS that are in the $3-400 range correct? My suggestion would be to wait and go to ebay or craigslist or even a Canon Photography Forum (http://www.photography-on-the.net) and find a used 30D for right around that same price. Look for one with just around 9k actuations that's in good condition and that should be plenty of camera for what you're looking for. You'll get TONS more out of the camera and you are able to change the lenses on it (dSLR) so you aren't limited to the whatever-x zoom your camera comes with. Just my $.02 and I hope that is helpful :)

glenhead
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
To be honest I absolutely LOVE Canon. I'm a huge Canon person, but with that in mind there isn't going to be more expensive camera brand until you get into medium format cameras which are a whole different ballpark.

That said, you're currently looking at PS that are in the $3-400 range correct? My suggestion would be to wait and go to ebay or craigslist or even a Canon Photography Forum (http://www.photography-on-the.net) and find a used 30D for right around that same price. Look for one with just around 9k actuations that's in good condition and that should be plenty of camera for what you're looking for. You'll get TONS more out of the camera and you are able to change the lenses on it (dSLR) so you aren't limited to the whatever-x zoom your camera comes with. Just my $.02 and I hope that is helpful :)

I hadn't thought about that route, Payton. Excellent advice! Even an old 10D or 20D would be bang-up for that price, and you could likely find one with a pretty good lens on an older body. I still use the 10D quite a bit (Lesley usually swipes the 50D), and it's a great shooter.

Pruddock
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
I hadn't thought about that route, Payton. Excellent advice! Even an old 10D or 20D would be bang-up for that price, and you could likely find one with a pretty good lens on an older body. I still use the 10D quite a bit (Lesley usually swipes the 50D), and it's a great shooter.

I bought a 30D as a backup and second lens camera for weddings this summer and it was shipped overnight for like... $450. Gotta love havin' a little extra cash in a down economy lol. A 10D or a 20D would be a great route as well.

As for the lens, start out with a cheap ($75) 50mm f/1.8 (nifty-fifty) and work your way up or try and find a kit lens like an 18-55mm and that'll do you fine until you have the cash for the really nice glass like the L series stuff (*drool*).

That's my advice :) Just remember, if you're getting into SLRs it's all about the glass and glass can get expensive quick (its an addiction just like corns). So you'll want to research, purchase, and stick with a brand as a long term commitment or you're going to find yourself in a hole.