PDA

View Full Version : Worth the Trouble?

Worth the Trouble?

angelbaby
06-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Howdy All-

I ran across a corn today at a local pet store. I do not know what kind to technicaly call it's morph. It was a soft buttery-yellow background with soft lavendar saddles. They were calling it an albino or snow take your pick (the employee told to call it whatever I wanted). :confused:

She was a very grumpy snake, rattled and struck at employee until she fed it then it was calmer but still jumpy. The employee stated the snake is underfed and that is why it is grumpy, but will calm down after being handled and fed on a regular basis. From what I could tell the snake is a very small yearling. :eek:

So here are my questions; What type of morph does it sound like? Do corn snake personalities vary with the morph? Will it really calm down with TLC? Is it worth $50? Can I keep her with my 2 month old amel male safely?

My five year old and myself are brand new snake keepers and are hoping to aquire this snake, but will I be biting off more than I should with this one?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

In Joy,
Angelbaby

Clint Boyer
06-04-2002, 09:39 AM
The yellowish background and lavender saddle sounds more like an amelanistic (albino) kingsnake or hybrid of some type. If you are interested in the genetics of your snake then I would find a different supplier. Since they don't know what it is, you will never know for sure.

kenalotia
06-04-2002, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't keep it with your two month old male. I would imagine that there is a significant size difference there, even if she is small for a yearling. Especially as she is underfed, there is a risk that she might eat your two month old. Also, when they are both a bit older (possibly even next year), they could mate and then you'd have LOT to deal with: a gravid female, incubating eggs, and who knows how many hatchlings. I would definitely give her her own enclosure, for the safety of both snakes.

angelbaby
06-04-2002, 01:15 PM
Hey Clint Boyer-

Oops! Thank you for your input, I called the manager of the local pet store today and asked for specifics... It is an albino kingsnake! Silly me for not knowing better, alas as I mentioned we are new at this snake thingy! Shame on the employee for not knowing better, double shame if she did. :o

I am so glad I have this forum and the knowledge being shared by great people like yourself to count on to set things straight on our herp journey! Hope to return the favor some day, for some lost soul in the herp realm! ;)

This leaves me still wondering... Are different types of corns known for having different personalities? Are some gentler, meaner etc... And once a biter always a biter or will they mellow with TLC? :confused:

In Peace,
Angelbaby

CornsnakeKeeper
06-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Some mellow out... some don't.
One of mine never did. Little witch bit me half a dozen times while feeding her the other day. Sometimes she has good days, sometimes she doesn't.
Don't try to mix the king with the corn! The corn will be eaten! Ahh...:eek:

jim
06-04-2002, 07:15 PM
some people keep corns together with no problems... others have problems. the thing is you often won't know whether you will have a problem until you already do. its not fun to have one snake to make a $50 meal of another one. good luck!!! :)---jim
p.s. most albino cals i've seen (i have 3) are very aggressive feeders and can be quite nippy. if you want docile snakes i'd stick with corns (docile for the most part anyway)

Katie
06-05-2002, 11:39 AM
Glad you didn't bring that kingsnake home and put it with your corn. I've heard of corns that were very aggresive towards kingsnakes (like if you handled a king and then picked up a corn it would try to bite you because of the smell). I doubt they would've gotten along very well in any case. Lol. :) As for different personalities with different morphs, I've never heard of that but one thing I have heard of (and experienced) is that bloodreds are difficult feeders when they are little. Some never start eating and actually die or have to be force fed. My poor little girl was a bad feeder when she was hatched and she was force fed for the first few months or so (not by me, she was eating great when I got her). She eats fine now, well better than fine, she eats great! But I was warned by my breeder that if she ever was bred that the babies may also have a tendency to be picky feeders. So I guess this means there are more traits besides looks that get passed down between generations. Makes me think the personality thing being different with different morphs could be true....

Anyone else heard of personalities varying from morph to morph? Of even a snappy snake having snappy babies when bred?

CornCrazy
06-19-2002, 04:18 PM
I have an amelanistic cal king...mine is striped, however (not banded as you described). He can be quite grumpy sometimes. He is a very aggressive feeder, but has never bitten me. I think that Cal Kings are definitely more high-strung than corns. I have 3 corns and 2 cal kings...none of the corns have ever shaken their tails at me, but both cal kings have. And CornsnakeKeeper was right...the king snake <b>WILL</b> eat the corn snake! As a matter of fact...a king snake will eat ANY snake if it can. I also agree with Jim...stick with corns if you want docile snakes!

Good luck!
Terri