PDA

View Full Version : scale rot?

scale rot?

Emily1188
10-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Pics:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z181/ekhilgy1188/IMG_0741-1.jpg

And this scale just flaked off while I was handling him...
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z181/ekhilgy1188/IMG_0743-1.jpg

His energy and appetite are normal, and there are no issues elsewhere on his body. I did spill his water bowl without knowing it, and for about a day his viv was extremely humid (doh). This was about a week ago. But he's been on paper towel bedding at 40-50% humidity since.

marike
10-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Hello,

I'm far away from being an expert, but it could be the first signs from a fungal skin infection. The picture in my book looks a bit like it. It can be caused by to humid housing.

My advice would be to bring the snake to a vet, before it get's worse. There is also a chance it just a little injury, maybe the snake fell while climbing or something. But I wouldn't take the risk.

I hope that helps.
Greetings,
marike

Emily1188
10-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks Marike!

He doesn't climb, so I think I'm leaning towards fungal infection.

bitsy
10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Is there anything on the belly scales? When one of mine got scale rot, it showed up as brownish ragged edges to the belly scales.

Emily1188
10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
No, his belly scales are totally clear. In fact, the more research I do on scale rot, the less I think that's what it is... I am going to watch him closely and keep his environment super dry and clean - I have the sneaking suspicion it may be nothing, but I'll watch it and make sure it doesn't progress. If it does, then off to the vet's.

I'm beginning to think it may be an old scrape, however... But I'll keep a close eye on it and we'll see.

Carinata
10-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Pics:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z181/ekhilgy1188/IMG_0741-1.jpg

And this scale just flaked off while I was handling him...
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z181/ekhilgy1188/IMG_0743-1.jpg

His energy and appetite are normal, and there are no issues elsewhere on his body. I did spill his water bowl without knowing it, and for about a day his viv was extremely humid (doh). This was about a week ago. But he's been on paper towel bedding at 40-50% humidity since.

Hello Emily,
I am not an expert either but I have noticed that on occasion scales wear out before they shed and they sorta flake off. I have noted it on many memebrs of Pantherophis. It usually occurs when a snake is over active. usually if it is hungry or is entering breeding season and it is searching for a mate. I would put peroxide on a q-tip and swab the area AND surronding area 2X daily. Place it in a sterilite with newspaper or paper towl and just a couple hides water and the heat could be slightly evelvated by a few degrees. I hope this helps. I alwasy do that when it happens to mine.
:cool:
david

Emily1188
10-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Hello Emily,
I am not an expert either but I have noticed that on occasion scales wear out before they shed and they sorta flake off. I have noted it on many memebrs of Pantherophis. It usually occurs when a snake is over active. usually if it is hungry or is entering breeding season and it is searching for a mate. I would put peroxide on a q-tip and swab the area AND surronding area 2X daily. Place it in a sterilite with newspaper or paper towl and just a couple hides water and the heat could be slightly evelvated by a few degrees. I hope this helps. I alwasy do that when it happens to mine.
david

Hey David! Thanks, I think you are right on! I noticed today he's got the dark, dingy look he gets before he goes blue... I'm pretty sure he's getting ready to shed. I warmed him up a little and have been keeping a close on him, and he's seems perfectly fine. I'll let you know what he looks like after he sheds.

Carinata
10-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey David! Thanks, I think you are right on! I noticed today he's got the dark, dingy look he gets before he goes blue... I'm pretty sure he's getting ready to shed. I warmed him up a little and have been keeping a close on him, and he's seems perfectly fine. I'll let you know what he looks like after he sheds.

Well snakes will often go into a shed cycle when that happens.

kpkp123
10-09-2009, 02:03 AM
I would have to agree with snakemaster. I also am far from an expert, but that looks more like he scraped himself on a hide or something. I would just put some neosporin on it and wait till after he sheds. I have seen scale rot in turtles and it it doesn't look like that. If I was you I wouldn't worry and just check him after a shed.

Carinata
10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I mean I have dealt with scale rot and it is alot harder to home treat. Also IDK if I mentioned it but adding extra heat will help the snake begin to fight any possible infection the peroxide will not clear up.
David