PDA

View Full Version : My future display

My future display

raynefyre
10-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Got kinda bored tonight, fiancee is sound asleep already lol, so i decided to design my future snake display:

-at the moment it will be 4'7" tall by 5'3" long, but i will probably add another row of display cages to make it taller and hold two more adults.
-the display cages are the same size as a 20 gallon long tank, 30"x12"x12"
-the shelving I plan to keep sterilite containers of babies in, each cubicle is 7"x14"x12"
-the cabinet will be used to hide electronics like the thermostat and cables as well as store other excess supplies.

Ideas, comments, suggestions all welcome. I wanna perfect this as much as possible before I build it, so any pro secrets shared would be AWESOME! :) Also I am a master carpenter and builder, so I have access to pretty much everything possible so don't worry about ideas being over the top, lol.
Thanks in advance!

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/65/l_860c20b240724de39c15a93c8703b83a.jpg

Jenstar
10-14-2009, 12:51 AM
That looks really nice. :)

Suzy
10-14-2009, 12:55 AM
That looks awesome! The only thing I would change is to add ventilation to the larger display cages. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but it couldn't hurt. :)
Now I have one question: Can you build one for me too? :laugh:

raynefyre
10-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks Jen :)

Here's the display with the extra row, I like it a lot better now, its 5'9" tall now.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/11/l_6f7213477cb9459b98d98b77177b584e.jpg

raynefyre
10-14-2009, 01:02 AM
That looks awesome! The only thing I would change is to add ventilation to the larger display cages. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but it couldn't hurt. :)
Now I have one question: Can you build one for me too? :laugh:

I didnt draw them in the picture but I planned on possibly adding 4 vent holes in the front plexi glass and definitely using peg board on the backside so my babies dont suffocate.

Haha, I could totally build you one Suzy, I just have no clue how much shipping would be O_O but if you really wanted one I would be delighted to make you one! :D

Suzy
10-14-2009, 01:05 AM
I didnt draw them in the picture but I planned on possibly adding 4 vent holes in the front plexi glass and definitely using peg board on the backside so my babies dont suffocate.

Haha, I could totally build you one Suzy, I just have no clue how much shipping would be O_O but if you really wanted one I would be delighted to make you one! :D

That makes sense! As long as you've got ventilation for them, that's all that matters. :) And I really like the 2nd one with an extra row! That looks awesome.

Maybe one day, i'll commission you to build something for me. Shipping would be absolutely insane, so i'd have to make a trip up there. :D

raynefyre
10-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Maybe one day, i'll commission you to build something for me. Shipping would be absolutely insane, so i'd have to make a trip up there. :D

Im planning this thing will be really big and heavy, so when you do bring a friend (or 2 or 3) and a truck! :P

raynefyre
10-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Im pondering as far as the floors of the cages go, any ideas for what to use to line the floor? I dont want bacteria and moisture to build up in the wood.

amanda007
10-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Im pondering as far as the floors of the cages go, any ideas for what to use to line the floor? I dont want bacteria and moisture to build up in the wood.

My husband is planning on building something along these lines (though much smaller, we only have one corn (for now!)), and was talking about cutting a piece of plexi to fit the bottom, then using a non-toxic caulk to seal the edges to the sides and back.

There is probably an easier way to do it, but that's all I've got!

amanda007
10-21-2009, 12:50 AM
PS:

Is it easier to have the doors swing down vs. up? I've seen people make them both ways, but was wondering if there was a "plus" to this design that they weren't mentioning.

Shiari
10-21-2009, 01:28 AM
I have the door swing down on mine because then I can have both hands free. If the door swings up, you'll have to be holding it up the entire time with one hand.

Marica
10-21-2009, 01:42 AM
That looks awesome. Only addition I could think of would be a litter dam at the front if you are planning on using a loose substrate like aspen so it doesn't fall out. Also, another suggestion for the floor, we just had a custom unit built and the guy installed linoleum in the bottom.

CaptBogart
10-21-2009, 02:03 AM
I like it, but I'd make the top one all one cage with a slot to divide it into two, so you'll have somewhere to put a larger snake.
Most displays are lined in melamine to prevent water damage and can be purchased in sheets at any home improvement store.

raynefyre
10-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Recently I went back and changed my design, after many people's helpful inputs on the drawing. :)

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/60/l_89fd55d58abe46ee9edf499072aadce9.jpg

It's 5'6" tall x 5'1.5" wide x about 18" deep

The top and bottom rows of display are 30" x 12" x 18".
The middle row of display cases are 30" x 18" x 18".

Below is a cabinet, which would be hinged on the inside on the bottom so the door could fold down just like the display doors. I would only use it for access to the cables and thermostat. To hold it closed I would probably use magnetic latches like this one:

http://www.thehardwarehut.com/images/cabinet_catches_latches/ame-bp32301-w.jpg

raynefyre
10-21-2009, 08:57 AM
That looks awesome. Only addition I could think of would be a litter dam at the front if you are planning on using a loose substrate like aspen so it doesn't fall out. Also, another suggestion for the floor, we just had a custom unit built and the guy installed linoleum in the bottom.

I want to use 1/2" melamine and the border around the bottom of each level where the hinges are is 3" tall. that way I get that lip for substrate, etc. Sorry I didn't clarify that before.

petpro553
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
PS:

Is it easier to have the doors swing down vs. up? I've seen people make them both ways, but was wondering if there was a "plus" to this design that they weren't mentioning.

The design looks awesome! Couple things I thought of:
1-doors that swing up have a potential to come down, on your head, on your snake. We have upward swinging doors at the shop and Ive been knocked damn near unconscious once. Better go down IMO.
2-My racks are made of wood coated with white (the name escapes me)
that might work. Ive also seen metal trays custom cut to fit with 2" lips, then the tray being siliconed in.

Either way it looks like it will be really nice~best of luck. And if your trying to think of what we would all like for Christmas I think that's the way to go. One each member should do! :laugh:

Ruderacer
10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Some of the other plans out there use melamine for the floors. Have you looked into that? Can't wait to see the finished product. Who know I may have to put one on order from you. Or at least buy the plans.

amanda007
10-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I thought that melamine was deemed unsuitable for use near pets, because it was toxic and could cause renal failure. That, and isn't it unsuitable for use near heat sources for long periods of time, because it causes the melamine to decompose? Hm...

raynefyre
10-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Now I'm getting really confused. O.o Lol.

I first started with the idea of using OSB board then I was told melamine is better. Now melamine is bad? I don't know what to use anymore.. except someone told me about using stuff called expanded pvc or something? He said it would create a lighter, better quality product.

snakepunk
10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Brian Barczyk (BHB Reptiles/snakebytes.tv) uses melamine racks and has over 30,000 snakes. I would think that is fine.

Personally, I just use osb, cheaper and not nearly as heavy.

CaptBogart
10-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Now I'm getting really confused. O.o Lol.

I first started with the idea of using OSB board then I was told melamine is better. Now melamine is bad? I don't know what to use anymore.. except someone told me about using stuff called expanded pvc or something? He said it would create a lighter, better quality product.

Brian Barczyk (BHB Reptiles/snakebytes.tv) uses melamine racks and has over 30,000 snakes. I would think that is fine.

Melamine board is fine, if your tub/shower surround isn't tile, it's melamine. The melamine that isn't considered safe is the epoxy like stuff that's painted on. It's a liquid that gives off fumes, but processed sheets are ok.

petpro553
10-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Ive not had any problems with melamine, but my guys are in tubs and not directly on the stuff.
You are correct in the fact that it is HEAVY!!! My racks are on castor wheels simply because they weigh alot.

raynefyre
10-23-2009, 10:37 AM

My concern with OSB is how to seal it so the wood doesn't absorb stains and bacteria. And at the same time, having the sealany safe for my snakes.

snakepunk
10-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Is it the best way–no.
Is it relatively safe–yes.

Now if I were to build the entire cage out of osb, that would be a different story. But the snake are in plastic boxes, and they usually don't poop on the ceiling above.

Like I said, I would prefer using melamine, but it's very heavy and more expensive. Maybe someday I will use it, but for now my 250 keepers don't seem to mind.

Some of my racks are even built using particle board. I wouldn't recommend using it though. Particle board (which is what is under the coated melamine) is heavy and tends to warp, preventing the boxes from easily sliding out after a couple of years of use.

RobbiesCornField
10-23-2009, 12:14 PM
To the OP: Oooh! I need full dimensions on that, and how many sheets of what I'm going to need (for the most recent modification). I LOVE how that looks, and that looks like it would be a perfect boa rack!

Shiari
10-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I thought that melamine was deemed unsuitable for use near pets, because it was toxic and could cause renal failure. That, and isn't it unsuitable for use near heat sources for long periods of time, because it causes the melamine to decompose? Hm...

Melamine is unsuitable only if they're eating it. Melamine was the culprit of the kidney-damaging crystals in the 2007 pet food recall. However, that was a form that was powdered and mixed into the food instead of a protein source so that corrupt peoples could save money. Melamine like on my bookcase and in my vivs is not going to be harmful to my pets.

Asbit
10-23-2009, 02:02 PM
raynefyre...the only thing I would consider changing in your last modification is the bottom door opening down. You will then have to reach in past the entire door to get at things, causing you to possibly have to lean on it to reach stuff in the middle.

I love your plan but the change I would make is have the bottom door open up and on a slider then it will recess into the bottom drawer along the top and out of the way. You can put a stopper on the slider or make it shorter than the entire depth of the drawer so that the door recesses with a small portion sticking out and that way it will not catch on any wiring running along the back of the cabinet.

Asbit
10-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Sorry for the double post...I have also read where many DIY's were simply sealed on the wood with a good sealer and then each seam was caulked. Thus making them water proof and easily cleanable to prevent bacteria growth. As well for the warm end some people have placed a UTH directly on the wood and then put a piece of Plexiglass over it and sealed it all around its edges with silicone.

To avoid large holes in the back of the sections they then cut the end of the UTH cord off and fed it and a thermostat prob through a small (then siliconed hole) and put a new plug end on the UTH.

Just a few other ideas...I know that is how my custom make snake housing is going to be done.

Jay@PJCReptiles
10-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Rayne, I like both of these ideas as they seem very functional. You have some great display areas as well as having room to keep babies in smaller bins and space to store other necessities.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/65/l_860c20b240724de39c15a93c8703b83a.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/11/l_6f7213477cb9459b98d98b77177b584e.jpg

You can tell that you put a lot of thought and time into your idea. I have a couple of suggestions you might want to use. First, if you are planning on using some kind of substrate in the display vivs you might want to install some kind of "bib" or "lip" at the bottom fronts of all of them to ensure the substrate will stay in the viv and not fall onto your floor.
Second, you might want to use some sort of PVC board such as Versatex (http://www.versatex.com/versatex-difference.php). This product is ammune to water and is very easy to use. Melamine is good but this is a little better product as it will last longer and have no issues with humidity/water whatsoever. It is made of recycled plastic and is non-porous. Again, these are just suggestions. I really like your design and would be more then happy to have one or two sitting in my living room displaying some of my own "personal choice" animals. One other question I have, what program did you use to design your idea? Once again, great job.
:cheers:

Jay :cool:

Buzzard
10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I like the plexiglass idea as a bottom and you could make a small lip for the front out of it. 5'9 is starting to get tall. Watch how high up you have a display cage. You might wanna invest in a good Wet/dry vac and step stool. But I love the layout......

raynefyre
10-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi Rayne, I like both of these ideas as they seem very functional. You have some great display areas as well as having room to keep babies in smaller bins and space to store other necessities.

You can tell that you put a lot of thought and time into your idea. I have a couple of suggestions you might want to use. First, if you are planning on using some kind of substrate in the display vivs you might want to install some kind of "bib" or "lip" at the bottom fronts of all of them to ensure the substrate will stay in the viv and not fall onto your floor.
Second, you might want to use some sort of PVC board such as Versatex (http://www.versatex.com/versatex-difference.php). This product is ammune to water and is very easy to use. Melamine is good but this is a little better product as it will last longer and have no issues with humidity/water whatsoever. It is made of recycled plastic and is non-porous. Again, these are just suggestions. I really like your design and would be more then happy to have one or two sitting in my living room displaying some of my own "personal choice" animals. One other question I have, what program did you use to design your idea? Once again, great job.
:cheers:

Jay :cool:

Thanks for all the nice comments!! :) Everyone's helping so much it's amazing.

I was planning on using a lip for the bases of the cages, I think I'm gonna need to do a section drawing.

Also THANK YOU SO MUCH!! for telling me what the plastic/pvc sheet stuff is!! I keep being told to use it but I couldn't find it or even a name for it. You're awesome!! Lol.

Third I use the program AutoCAD 2009 for all my drawings and designs. It's pretty easy to use once you figure out how the program works and the commands. If you're interested I could hook you up! :)

5'9 is starting to get tall. Watch how high up you have a display cage. You might wanna invest in a good Wet/dry vac and step stool. But I love the layout......

I'm 6' tall so I don't see this as being a problem, but yeah I can see what you mean. Lol.

raynefyre
10-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Ok, here's some more drawings of the design.. I'm using 1/2" material.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/45/l_b89b17af25d948f18507ff6d7faa1109.jpg

I cut through the center of the design to show how it looks this way with the doors and stuff. The next one is zoomed in on a single display case, with the latch and hinge drawn in.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/75/l_9d16006390aa46778a0146d1beb3070d.jpg

Still working out the details, but eventually I will get to a cut list and drawing instructions. Lol.

raynefyre
10-23-2009, 05:17 PM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/75/l_9d16006390aa46778a0146d1beb3070d.jpg

Second try at the second pic...

Asbit
10-23-2009, 06:13 PM
I really love the idea of incorporating the hatchling rack in the first drawing...my snake room will most likely be a basement living room we use as a play room at this time...so things need to look nice.

Buzzard
10-24-2009, 05:37 AM
I like the lips. Very nice.

raynefyre
10-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Okay, I switched over from using AutoCAD 2009 to Google Sketchup (which if free to anyone who wants it fyi) to render it as a solid piece of furniture. I want it to be black with a white inside for the displays so they pop out at you (an idea given to me by a friend). The clear display windows are tinted blue just so you can see them there. I'll get a cut list and stuff going once I have time.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/102/l_1e2a4749e5e14e7999dd94410f1e8e26.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/111/l_3eb83f8d2a8344ad98b72e9f3d9cb9c1.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/104/l_0f82f953117d425286ebdc5ad9df4dfa.jpg

Iceman00
10-29-2009, 05:03 AM
Great plan and design. I built a viv using many ideas and suggestions from the DIY posts. For heating I used an UTH directly attached to the smooth side of a ceramic tile then I used the grommets the UTH came with to raise the tile and sealed around it. I can't remember where or who's idea but it works great. You can also use Flex Watt heat tape or Flexible heat ropes. All would require a thermostat.

raynefyre
11-02-2009, 09:42 AM
For Asbit. I redrew the first design concept in 3D.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/89/l_0f0f73947620400c87963c1455eea966.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/105/l_810aabe33b31418abe10402571a77505.jpg

And just because I got excited and carried away. Made a huge entertainment center style one with a wood finish.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/67/l_9bb21a0e071f47998e2c9ef8fb91d4d0.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/83/l_911cdbe24d31497d809fab8e5ecea2af.jpg

Ideas and comments are all still welcome! I'm just messing around with my design program until I find something I absolutely fall in love with. Peace.

Asbit
11-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey thanks for the extra renderings...love the look of the entertainment one, would need to scrap the doors on the upper middle section where the TV would be. Then for the side sections could you do the doors so they recessed on a slider in along the outer wall of those compartments? What kind of dimensions did you give it? I really have to kick my son in gear as he still has done nothing to render me any designs yet!

raynefyre
11-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey thanks for the extra renderings...love the look of the entertainment one, would need to scrap the doors on the upper middle section where the TV would be. Then for the side sections could you do the doors so they recessed on a slider in along the outer wall of those compartments? What kind of dimensions did you give it? I really have to kick my son in gear as he still has done nothing to render me any designs yet!

Right now the entertainment center style model is 6'2" tall x 8'1" long and 1'6" deep. The bottom cages are 36" long x 18" tall x 18" deep. The outer cages on the top level are 18" long x 36" tall x 18" deep. I wanted to make vertical cages for arboreal species. The large center cage on top is 3'11" long x 36" tall x 18" deep. I wanted to provide a very large tank for a massive pet, possibly for my fiance's future frilled dragon. The cubbyholes are set within a 18" long x 36" tall x 18" deep region. Each hole is 11.25" long x 8.5" tall x 18" deep. These I planned for housing multiple babies per cube or possibly larger yearling containers.

I was thinking about framing the glass (?) doors with wood to make them look cleaner and more refined. I also might put in a middle strip in between the two center doors of the large upper cage too for support. I don't think I would ever put a TV near my snakes, too many vibrations with how loud I play my music. Lol. I thought about adding recessive sliders to all (?) the cage doors as well, just not quite sure yet how that would work. It would definitely get rid of cumbersome doors while cleaning though.

Asbit
11-02-2009, 03:08 PM
very cool!! I love the Peak top you gave it.

claireree
11-03-2009, 05:50 PM
I have a four stack viv and am planning on spltting one of them in 2 for my yearlings but was thinking of using glass, do you think thats ok or is wood better.

Your display looks great.

raynefyre
11-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I have a four stack viv and am planning on spltting one of them in 2 for my yearlings but was thinking of using glass, do you think thats ok or is wood better.

Your display looks great.

Thanks for the compliments! :)

I think either would be okay, just make sure there are no rough edges and that it is sealed well so they can't get across into each others' tanks.

Crimson.Dawn
11-12-2009, 04:53 PM
looks great cant wait to see the in progress and finished project love.

rafasani
12-02-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm thinking on a similar design for myself, but I won't build a rack with various displays, I'm thinking in building just one terrarium (only got 1 corn snake, for now...) in a way that I can build more like it in the future and stack them... anyway..

What are you planing on using for heat?? I thought about using an UTH but I'm not sure if it's OK to place them on the wood and them maybe put some glass/plexi on top. I think I read somewhere that the underside of the UTHs should be free, that it can't be placed directly against a surface like that. Is that right or could this be done??? I'd rather use UTH for heat if it's possible..

ps. sorry for asking this in your thread, is just that you have a similar design so I was hoping you already had a solution to my dilema...

raynefyre
12-02-2009, 11:09 AM
What are you planing on using for heat?? I thought about using an UTH but I'm not sure if it's OK to place them on the wood and them maybe put some glass/plexi on top. I think I read somewhere that the underside of the UTHs should be free, that it can't be placed directly against a surface like that. Is that right or could this be done??? I'd rather use UTH for heat if it's possible..

ps. sorry for asking this in your thread, is just that you have a similar design so I was hoping you already had a solution to my dilema...

I was planning on using heat tape with a thermostat for mine, then putting plexi over top sealed with silicon or something similar that's safe for reptiles. Since I planned on making this for adult snakes I was thinking about using pegboard for the back to slide plugs and cords through but not too big for the snakes to escape. Also allows for ventilation.

For a UTH I think there are other threads in here that show how they use them in displays. I know I have seen them before. They tend to create an indented surface in the bottom of the display floor and use plexi over top. Then you can cut a groove/slot in the back wall to slide it in and out. The same process I have also considered using for heat tape, I'm still undecided yet. I could swear there was a thread somewhere around here that shows it.. I'll have to try to find it for you.

rafasani
12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
I thought about using heat tape either but I can't find it over here (I live in Brazil by the way).

I found a thread where they used a system similar to the one you described:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80564

Thanks for the help! And good luck with your project!!

Mertin
01-07-2010, 01:58 AM
just a thought on your display for ease of cleaning..

instead of putting a hinged plexiglas front why not put in drawer sliders on the sides of the slots and have a glass tank slide in and out?
easy to clean that way

great design by the way, Im trying to come up with something like this for mine