PDA

View Full Version : Undersized snake?

Undersized snake?

carpathian000
10-15-2009, 11:31 PM
So I was perusing the Cornsnakes group on Livejournal, and somebody posted a picture of a corn she said was 10 months old. It was 30 inches long, probably about 1 1/2 inches wide.

My Plissken is a year and 2 months old. He's 22 inches long, and only about as big around as a Sharpie marker. :( Her snake was easily twice as fat as him.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm following the Munson plan (one hopper per week) and he seems healthy. Does that seem really small for his age? :cry:

EmJagsz
10-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Don't worry about it. Snakes grow at their own pace! As long as he seems normal and healthy, there is nothing to worry about :)

francka
10-16-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm not an expert, but I often read on this forum that Munson plan is an aggressive feeding schedule. If you are following the Munson plan, your snake should be ok and I will not increase the meal.

diamondlil
10-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Do you weigh him at all? Once a month, just before a feed should show you how he's doing. If he's growing and shedding about once a month, don't worry. If he's not gaining size then maybe try weanling or small adults?

Stars
10-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Well length etc isn't a good measure of size, you must weigh your snake. My yearling is only about 34grams, I'd say less than an inch diameter and almost 2ft, but she's healthy. They all grow at different rates but both of your snakes seem even larger than mine, and your 10month is younger so, no worries.

airenlow
10-16-2009, 03:23 PM
It all depends on the individual snake. I have a pair of '08 siblings that have been following the Munson Plan...the male is 273 grams and the female is 206. So, even among clutch-mates there can be a drastic difference in size. Don't sweat it!

DarkSmoke
11-22-2009, 05:24 AM
dw dude your not the only one, my snake is 1year6months old and his only 60cm long about my small finger wide..

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=589&pictureid=4194

here's a pic i took yesterday compared to my hand hehe

requin
11-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Oooh, sorry this is slightly off-topic but I never thought to look for any cornsnake related communites on LJ, which one was it? :)

Back on topic, I think what's most important is that your snake is healthy. It sounds like you're feeding on a good schedule and he's eating well so I wouldn't worry too much. Not all snakes grow at the same pace, but he'll get nice and big before you know it!

AshleyShadows
11-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Like others have said, snakes grow at their own pace. But also keep in mind that a lot of people "powerfeed" their snakes for maximum growth...meaning feeding every 3-4 days. I haven't seen any credible literature as to whether this is harmful or beneficial, but I've definitely seen the corn snake community deem this as a "no no". I certainly wouldn't do it.

I try not to compare my snakes to other peoples' snakes...or even one of mine to the other. They're all individuals and will grow into what they're supposed to be if given proper care and nutrition.

chad27
11-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Well i can say my whiteout has been power feed for a long time and he has grown at a rapid rate.Also has done so with no regurge or any other issues.