PDA

View Full Version : Pet store mice okay?

Pet store mice okay?

MomInCalifornia
10-17-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm a teacher and have a 1 year old cornsnake in my classroom. I purchased her at a very reputable vivarium that's an hour away. When I went to pick her up I bought 3 months worth of frozen pinkies as well and i'm down to my last few.

We have lots of pet stores 5-10 minutes from us and I'd much rather go to one of them to get more feeders than an hour away.

I know not to buy snakes from PetSmart, Pet Co etc, but is it okay to buy the frozen feeders from them?

Thanks!

jlindp
10-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I have 3 snakes and have, on many occasions, bought and fed Arctic Mice from Petsmart without any issues. I actually had a hatchling that preferred the Arctic Mice over the pinkies I bought from RodentPro. ;}

Emily1188
10-17-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm a teacher and have a 1 year old cornsnake in my classroom. I purchased her at a very reputable vivarium that's an hour away. When I went to pick her up I bought 3 months worth of frozen pinkies as well and i'm down to my last few.

We have lots of pet stores 5-10 minutes from us and I'd much rather go to one of them to get more feeders than an hour away.

I know not to buy snakes from PetSmart, Pet Co etc, but is it okay to buy the frozen feeders from them?

Thanks!

It's fine but it's freaking expensive! :nope: Although if you're only feeding one snake, I guess it might not hurt too much. You may want to search for local "mom n pop" shops that may carry rodents for less outrageous prices. :)

Stars
10-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Expensive compared to buying bulk, yeah. It will still be under 2$ per mouse.

danielle
10-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I would just seek out local shows its so much cheaper. Also a pinky is way too small a meal for a yearling- most should be on fuzzies or hoppers by then to grow properly- I imgine she's still small due to her diet so get some fuzzies and then move up to hoppers:)

ZoologyGirl
10-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks!

They're pricey (very pricey), but I have given my snake frozen feeders from both petco and petsmart before.

Stars
10-17-2009, 12:12 PM
They're pricey (very pricey), but I have given my snake frozen feeders from both petco and petsmart before.

How is >$2 a week very pricey? She only has one snake to feed :)

Emily1188
10-17-2009, 12:17 PM

That doesn't change that fact that paying $1-2 a pink is plain ridiculous. I bought 100 pinks/peach fuzzies for $35 - and some would that's too expensive. They simply aren't worth $1-2 a pop. (And since we're a capitalist society, I the consumer get to determine their worth. :D )

And honestly, I can't help but feel a little bit outraged at the fact that these places produce these animals for so little and then deliberately ring you dry over them. Sorry, I won't be a part of that. :nope:

ZoologyGirl
10-17-2009, 12:22 PM

Compared to the 15-50 cents I can find them for, very pricey.

Even ordering bulk online, even with having to pay shipping charges, I can get a better price than the petstores. The only problem with that is you have to buy so many at a time...and sometimes I just don't have a good chunk of cash lying around.

JeniDB
10-20-2009, 01:00 PM
I give my hatchling Arctic Mice from PetSmart and he's been fine so far. No problems at all.

MomInCalifornia
10-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Thank you everyone! I appreciate the advice and will look into purchasing larger mice for her. I don't mind paying a bit more if it saves me from having to drive an hour there and an hour back! Even if it's a dollar a mouse, that's only $4.00 a month. I'm glad to hear the pet store mice are an option but will look for a local store as well.