PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy Snake

Sleepy Snake

AureliaM
10-18-2009, 04:54 AM
Hello I'm new to this site so I apologize if someone has already asked about this. My baby Corn snake Ammit is usually very active at night. For the last two or three days he's really done nothing but sleep. Sometimes he sleeps under his log and sometimes in one of his plants but I haven't really seen him moving around in all that time. I haven't had him for all that long so I'm worried that this isn't normal. Is he going to shed soon or is he sick? How can I tell if he's sick, he doesn't have cloudy eyes or any mucus, I also can't see any abnormalities in his scales. Is this normal and I should just leave him alone? Or should I go get him checked out?

Susan
10-18-2009, 06:14 AM
It is never wrong to double check everything in the viv when a snake's behavior is different, just to make sure the temps, etc are where they should be. Temps that are too high or too low can cause a snake to just stay in one place. It is possible that he's going to shed. I've had snake do nothing but hide for 2 weeks when they're going to shed, and others that act as if nothing is different and eat like pigs while deep in blue. Just watch closely for any other signs, feed as usual or tempt with something extra yummy, and give him another week to shed as long as nothing else is wrong that you can see.

Snakeman Charlie
10-18-2009, 08:54 AM
If hes reached sexual maturaty it could be because he doesnt have a girl

Nanci
10-18-2009, 09:14 AM
I bet he's going to shed soon. The whole thing can take 10-12 days. If you catch him at the very beginning or end, his eyes won't appear blue.

Male cornsnakes won't reach sexual maturity until two or three, usually, and the signs you will see would be a higher activity level and a loss of appetite.

RosieReal
10-18-2009, 09:18 AM
the first few weeks of snake ownership were quite difficult for me, simply because i worry about EVERYTHING. i had a few times when i was sure Yoshi was on deaths door, but then it turned out i was the one freeking...about nothing.
sometimes its good to take a step back and a deep breath. my boyfriend calls my snake 'her inanimate object' which gives you an idea of how much my snake auctually -does-
is he feeding? does he respond when you pick him up? is everything in his envrionment the same as always?
if the answer is yes, then i wouldnt worry too much for now.

AureliaM
10-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Thank you for the quick answers, I probably do worry to much, I have a friend who's baby corn snake died so I suppose it's made me paranoid. Thanks for the replying it's made me feel a bit better