PDA

View Full Version : Is this OK?

Is this OK?

wstphal
10-24-2009, 09:56 AM
As everyone knows, I am new to corn snakes. I have read about issues if you handle a snake after it eats, so I came up with what I think is a good strategy. It's been fine so far but I'd like to double check it.

I have lots of Tupperware with lids that fit poorly. I put an appropriate size Tupperware box in the viv, gently place the snake in it (these are sized to allow room for striking the prey & coiling on it as well as eating), then offer the food. After that I place the lid on the box not latched down & leave the snake to eat in peace. I come back later & the snake has eaten & exited the Tupperware & returned to the rest of the viv & I take the Tupperware out & wash it.

Does this sound OK? Is it overkill? I just wanna do the right thing...

Nanci
10-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Sounds okay to me, as long as you check to make sure the snake has left the feeding container.

ZoologyGirl
10-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I think it sounds ok too, though like Nanci said make sure it actually has left the tupperware after a while.

Though I don't think handling a snake after it fed just to move it into its enclosure will do much harm either. My snakes don't seem to mind.

Stars
10-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Instead of this, just put the rodent on a tupperware container LID in the viv. As long as you thaw your mice in ziplock bags (so it doesn't get wet/sticky), your risk of impaction doing this is almost zero. This is what I do.

wstphal
10-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Stars, I tried that with Humphrey but I would need a huge lid. He rolled around enthusiastically strangling the f/t mouse until he wound up back on the aspen bedding & I was afraid he would swallow some of the bedding. I had already read that could cause impaction so I got a Tupperware box instead. I think this would work fine with Attitude though.

Stars
10-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Stars, I tried that with Humphrey but I would need a huge lid. He rolled around enthusiastically strangling the f/t mouse until he wound up back on the aspen bedding & I was afraid he would swallow some of the bedding. I had already read that could cause impaction so I got a Tupperware box instead. I think this would work fine with Attitude though.

Oh! Yeah I've never had or witnessed a snake that constricted frozen prey but you're right it happens.

wstphal
10-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Oh! Yeah I've never had or witnessed a snake that constricted frozen prey but you're right it happens.

Well Humphrey goes all out for constricting f/t mice. He strikes them, coils on them & holds on for 5+ minutes before dining. In the coiling process he can roll right off a lid. It's quite impressive, actually, I didn't know he would do that until his first feeding with me.

ZoologyGirl
10-24-2009, 10:45 PM
A couple of my snakes like to constrict their F/T prey as well.