PDA

View Full Version : Corn Snake Skin Folds/clicking

Corn Snake Skin Folds/clicking

bobicus880
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Recently my cousin was over, and without my permission he took my snake out, and dropped him. It was only three feet, but he hit the linolium with a plop. At first he was alright, and nothing looked strange, but after three days his skin has began folding over, and his spine was viewable through the skin. It is not like this all the time though. Once he breathes in the folds go away, and he looks like his old self. Also he seems to be making clicking noises, however he is about to shed, and I was told loose skin can cause this. Another problem is that his mouth is partially open (I was told it was caused by shedding too). I'm worried for my little bugger, but he does not seem in pain at all, but on the other hand he did not feed yesterday (shedding?)

Zulu3
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
is he/was he in blue? are his eyes cloudy at all?

i'm no pro but it doesn't sound like totally normal shedding behaviour to me. When you sat the skin folds is it like it wrinkles when he bends his body or is it more like it's loose on either side of his body? does his spine appear to have any "kinks" in it now that you can see it?

Pictures may help. Hopefully others with more experience can give you some input but more info and pictures would probably help.

All the best to you and your little one,
Ali

bitsy
10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
It does sound rather like normal shedding things. Has he refused food before when about to shed?

Zulu3
10-26-2009, 02:15 PM
What about the clicking though and the open mouth? I've never heard of that? But like I said I'm no expert =)

bobicus880
10-26-2009, 02:40 PM
this is my first time with him shedding. I'm a turtle keeper crossed over into corn snakes for the first time. I've read about the mouth opening and clicking being normal but never the skin folding. That is the main thing I'm worried about. Thanks though

VickyChaiTea
10-26-2009, 04:39 PM
The mouth thing sounds a little concerning, check him to see if he has mouth rot or something along those lines. Doesn't hurt to just check.

bekers71
10-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Most of this sounds like normal shedding process. The mouth being open concerns me though. There is a chance that when it was dropped the jaw was dislocated or broke. If it's dislocated, it could realign it's self after eating though. If not then a trip to the vet may be in order. Also make sure your little one has plenty of water or a nice humid hide. Some wrinkles in the skin during the shedding process is normal but in some cases it also indicates dehydration. If the jaw is dislocated or broke it may be having trouble drinking.

danielle
10-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Could his lung be injured- just an idea. The folding in at the sides sounds like he's straining to breathe hence caving in at the sides. While mild clicking is normal around shed time the mouth open is something I haven't seen yet. I would let a vet take a look to be sure though. Is the clicking all the time and does it coincide with inhaling, exhaling, or both?

bobicus880
10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
the clicking only happens when he exhales, and the mouth really isn't open anymore he seems to have it closed now, also some skin is coming off his head which I guess means he is going to shed.

Asbit
10-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Occasionally that clicking can happen in shed due to loose skin flapping back and forth in the nostrils. It sounds like it is just related to shed, especially because he has started to shed. Just keep and eye on him and see how he is after the shed is done. Be sure to check the shed and make sure that it has all come off, esp the eye caps and the nostrils.

bobicus880
10-27-2009, 09:17 PM
thank you fine gentle folk.....although if he did collapse a lung what would be some other signs? Also he only dropped 3 feet. My other cousins corn escaped, and fell 7 feet into their basement with no ill effects (same size as mine). I keep telling myself that because of the snake's body the energy would disperse throughout.