PDA

View Full Version : Permanent "kink" in body

Permanent "kink" in body

JodyCT
10-31-2009, 09:04 AM
I have a very old corn snake -- around 22 years. He has recently developed a permanent "S" shape close to the middle of his body. (He is a little over 5' long.) I can't tell whether it is some sort of swelling or enlarged joints that cause the problem or if he is just permanently bent. He seems to get around and catch mice as well as ever. Do snakes develop osteoporosis or arthritis?

danielle
10-31-2009, 09:17 AM
22 wow he's had a long life. If he eats and poops that is a good sign. Is the bending soft or hard? Could he have been injured at all? I don't know of any osteoporosis or arthritis, but they don't have joints like ours and because they aren't upright I doubt it- just a guess though.

Caryl
11-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I love to hear about snakey senior citizens! I haven't heard of arthritis in herps, but they do indeed have joints between their vertebrae. It is therefore possible, though unlikely, to develop inflammation in the joints.

BobbyHill
11-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Seems to me like this is probably just an age-related condition. I would love to hear somebody better informed than me weigh in on this one though.

As Danielle said, if the snake is still eating/digesting okay, then I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it. Your snake is just an old man!