PDA

View Full Version : How much should I feed an adult corn snake?

How much should I feed an adult corn snake?

vkielm55
11-02-2009, 09:35 PM
My corn snake is almost 2 years old and just over 44 inches in length. I feed it once a week and have been feeding 2 "large mice" (frozen mice from PetSmart) each time. Is this too much food or not? Will my snake ever need to be fed more than this amount each week?

wade
11-02-2009, 09:36 PM
That is about right. Some people say you should cut down to feeding about ever 10 days. It isn't rocket science. You are doing fine.

I have had some very large snakes that I fed 3 mice to at a time. But no more than that.

vkielm55
11-02-2009, 09:40 PM
That is about right. Some people say you should cut down to feeding about ever 10 days. It isn't rocket science. You are doing fine.

I have had some very large snakes that I fed 3 mice to at a time. But no more than that.
So 2 large mice per week, consistently from now on (he's been on 2 large mice per week for the past few months)? Is there any reason/sign I should look for to indicate that I should ever cut back or increase how much I feed it or is this amount okay pretty much for the rest of its life?

wade
11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Snakes that are overeating get fat. You will start to see in near their tail, just before the cloacha it will swell. I hate to admit this was one of my snakes but it was and she was fat. She is laying right across the point were you see the fat buildup.

GeckoTrouble
11-03-2009, 12:13 AM
My 11 yr old corn was underweight when I got her and I had her on 1 large adult mouse every 5-7 days. Now she has reached a good weight for her, I have backed her down to 1 large adult every 10 days... so far she's maintaining weight well.

bitsy
11-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Every Corn is different, so you really jut have to try the above suggestions and see what happens. However, beware that it's easier to put fat on them, than it is to get it off!

My healthy adults are on a maintenance diet of one large mouse every two weeks. This works for me. Males and non-breeding females go down to one large mouse every three weeks over the winter.