PDA

View Full Version : To feed or not to feed...

To feed or not to feed...

petpro553
11-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Well we have more non-feeders this year than any prior. We have over 12 and we have been diligently tube feeding but are starting to wonder if they will ever be self sufficient. We have tried all methods and these guys just show no interest.
My question to other breeders who have found themselves in the same predicament-how long is too long. We've always won them over eventually but this year I feel we may not be as lucky. What do you do with your long-term non-feeders? I see few options as giving up is usually not our style. Anyone else in such a dilemma?:shrugs:

RosieReal
11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
well. have a look at this thread. Good luck, thats quite a task.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30056&highlight=Diamondlil

bitsy
11-09-2009, 04:45 PM
I keep trying the range of tricks and put supplements in their water until they fade away. Every year I have non-feeders I tell myself I ought to be harder-nosed about it and set a deadline, but I've had odd ones start eating aged four months then thrive, so I don't like to "give up".

I no longer force-feed or offer live, as I didn't have any long-term success with those techniques, which I tried for three (I think) seasons. The snakes kept the food down, seemed to digest & poop normally, but they never put on weight and I still eventually found them dead out of the blue.

petpro553
11-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I keep trying the range of tricks and put supplements in their water until they fade away. Every year I have non-feeders I tell myself I ought to be harder-nosed about it and set a deadline, but I've had odd ones start eating aged four months then thrive, so I don't like to "give up".

I no longer force-feed or offer live, as I didn't have any long-term success with those techniques, which I tried for three (I think) seasons. The snakes kept the food down, seemed to digest & poop normally, but they never put on weight and I still eventually found them dead out of the blue.

It is hard to know how much effort is truly worth it, but it is also nice to know others have faced the same dilemma. I too have found several methods generally ineffective. It is good to hear however that you've had success after 4 months..perhaps there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for your input.

bitsy
11-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Good luck with yours. From only two non-feeders last year, I've had a particularly bad season this time round and currently still have twelve holdouts.

petpro553
11-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Good luck with yours. From only two non-feeders last year, I've had a particularly bad season this time round and currently still have twelve holdouts.

Ive talked to two other very large breeders in my general area and they are also experiencing a higher number this year. I am beginning to wonder if it is environmental. It may prove helpful for a log to be kept amongst members with a non-feeder count for every year. It would take a while but if a pattern was developed we may begin to have a better understanding of why this occurs.
Would anyone else be interested in offering their data of hatchling:non-feeder ratios? (Must have more than just a couple clutches to pull data from)

wendhend
11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Having lots of non-feeders can definitely be frustrating. I know that a lot of breeders just euthanize them or feed them to their king snakes, but I have never been able to do that, knowing that a lot of them will eventually eat on their own and make nice pets for someone. I also had more than usual this year, mainly due to one entire clutch of non-feeders. I tried all the ususal techniques and eventually had to go to force-feeding them. I found that I burned out really fast on the tube feeding with all the mess it makes and the snakes' dislike for it. So, I've started something different, and I'm not as burned out as usual. I am offering them each a pinky head weekly. When they don't eat it, I force feed it to them with a pair of tweezers. I find it much less torturesome to force a little head down their throat than a whole pinky, tube or pinky pump. It seems to be maintaining them okay, and the headless bodies are fed to my hatchlings who are good feeders, so there is no waste. One of my favorite butter motley girls finally decided to eat recently and has taken two meals on her own now, so I still do have some hope for her siblings.
Generally I hold on to non-feeders for at least six weeks, and when I start to feel burned out by them, I find them a new home. I have always found gobs of people who want to work with them by placing a "free" ad in the local paper, noting that they do have feeding issues. I always tell the people who take them that I would love to hear back from them if they are able to get their snakes to eat. And I have had quite a few folks who called me back a few weeks later and were really excited that their little snakes had started eating on their own. Their techniques wer enever anything that I didn't try, but apparently those snakes just required more time to be ready to eat on their own. Anyway, those success stories always make me happy that I didn't euthanize or let them starve themselves.
By the way, if anyone here wants some freebie nonfeeders (for the cost of shipping), please let me know. I have some pretty butter motleys and butters het motley still availbale. I'm thinking about placing a "free" ad for them in the local paper but haven't go around to it yet.