PDA

View Full Version : health question (congestion?)

health question (congestion?)

Rave
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I took J.R out of her viv today, and noticed on her right nostril is a little brown spot, it just looks like a plugged nose, must have appeared last night, but when i put her back in she freaked out a little more then usual, by rubbing her head(nose) against anything and everything(more then usual). she calmed down quickly, but I'm curious if it will pass on its own, or if there is something i could do to help her, it looks a little inflamed, but doesn't look like it's hurting her yet. other then that she's acting normal.

she is a baby snow so shes still pink and it was easy to notice

Thank you

Asbit
11-10-2009, 03:09 PM
By any chance do you have her on a dirt type substrate or coconut fiber? If so she may have it stuck in her nostril from burrowing. I first used coconut fiber and one of mine was a burrower and got her nostrils plugged and started to sneeze. As well our garter that we had for over 2 yrs was on it and got and RI from burrowing in it. So I quickly changed to Aspen, the most recommended bedding for corn snakes..I am not willing to take the chance of loosing a corn to an RI like we did our garter.

Hopefully if this is the case it can sneeze it out like my corn did and there will be no problem.

Another thing to consider is mites. Put the snake in a container with water that is slightly cool to your touch(remember we are around 96.8 and they handle 85 and not much higher), then put you snake in for a swim, if you see other black dots in the water, your snake has mites.

Asbit
11-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Rave I do not know if you got my PM but I remembered reading that you are using douglas fir with eucalyptus as a substrate, that may be your snakes problem. The brown spot could be a very minute piece of the substrate that got into her nostril and with the aromatic oils, is seriously irritating it and causing the inflammation. It could also be that being a little snake whom you said burrows in the substrate it may have gotten a minor cut(brown spot being a tiny bit of dried blood) and again the aromatic oils are irritating it, causing the inflammation you mentioned above.

Those substrates are high not recommended for corn snakes, I gave you two quotes from reputable authors: Kathy Love and Don Soderberg both explaining why not to use them. Here is the link in http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91378&highlight=substrate&page=3case you did not get it.

I hope this helps you and your cute little snow out!

Rave
11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
I just got in and checked her status, it's still there. doesn't look any better or worse though. i hope she will sneeze it out soon, as tomorrow is feeding day.
I know it is not mites poor J.R had some already when I got her, and have plenty of NIX left over if I ever do spot any.
The blood idea is a possibility as it kind of looks like a tiny scab on the inside of her nostril but I'm not sure on how to check to be sure. It's just a tiny light brown thing in her nostril, could just as well be some substrate.
oh, just a side note. the Douglas fir with eucalyptus says on it contains no toxic resins or oils. but regardless i am switching to aspen asap(most likely next week)
Thank you Asbit, you've been a lot of help, really.
always much appreciated to hear from you

danielle
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I would switch to newspaper until then to be honest eucalyptus and fir is toxic to corn snakes regardless of what the bag says. While it may be suitable for other uses I highly doubt it wa intended for snakes:)

Asbit
11-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Ya took the words right out of my mouth Danielle! Good luck with JR, Rave. If it is a scab it will be gone with next shed.

Rave
11-10-2009, 08:07 PM
That is a relief as I believe she is due for a shed soon, or hopefully it will be sneezed out by then. I think I will take the advice given, and start cutting up newspaper tonight. better safe then sorry right.

Asbit
11-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I agree, for me if there is a risk with something I just am not willing to take it, all of my mini zoo mean to much to me, that is why when I noticed the type of substrate you said you were using I wanted to tell you what I had learned in case you were unaware and were the same type of person. By the way JR is so cute! My largest snake is a Snow motley(Artemis-female) a fair amount of pink still in her, then we have my youngest son's RO(Aphrodite-unsexed), there is the Normal het Hypo Lavender Strip ph Amel (Zeus-male), a Butter het Hypo Motley (Kratos-male) and finally a Caramel het Hypo Amel Motley (Hera-female) as well as dogs, cats and leopard geckos for the non-humans here.

Rave
11-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Well it is going away, or at least getting smaller, and I got rid of all the substrate and replaced it with newspaper. quick question about the paper though it looks like some of the ink is rubbing off on J.R's head. The ink isn't toxic is it?
I'll give her a bath in a couple days, once her stomach settles

Asbit
11-11-2009, 07:25 PM
As far as I understand the inks they use these days are not supposed to be toxic but I can not tell you for sure. I you are worried you could also use paper towel that is what I use when I want to monitor a snake or when I have a very small baby.

danielle
11-11-2009, 09:08 PM
News ink is perfectly safe:)