PDA

View Full Version : Eggs?

Eggs?

Teddy Roosevelt
11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I read in the corn/rat snake guide from Petco (I know) that corns can be fed eggs once they're big enough. Does it mean fertilized eggs or not? And chicken eggs or (more likely I assume) quail? Also, what are some other non-mouse/rat treats I could give my corn when he's bigger? Are they fond of worms or crickets?

danielle
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
No worms or crickets neither provide th nutrients they need. In general snakes don't need snacks- thy become obese easily in captivity so feeding every 7-10 days is sufficient. If you want to mix it up a little baby chicks are good here and ther though I here it makes their poo smell really bad:)

starsevol
11-12-2009, 05:55 PM
What I would do if I were you is...use that Petco book's pages to line your snakes cage, and get the book by Kathy Love. It's called The Comprehensive Owner's Guide. It is considered the corn snake keeper's bible.......

Teddy Roosevelt
11-12-2009, 06:09 PM
What I would do if I were you is...use that Petco book's pages to line your snakes cage, and get the book by Kathy Love. It's called The Comprehensive Owner's Guide. It is considered the corn snake keeper's bible.......
If it's not available for free online I'm gonna have to pass. I don't really have the money to buy something nearly everyone here gives advice by anyways.

I wasn't really thinking of feeding them stuff like that solely, nor as a snack, but rather as different "prey" he can possibly hunt (especially in the case of worms and crickets as I'm sure I can get those live). What about eggs or lizards?

RobbiesCornField
11-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Not to be snippy, but we've all bought the book and done our research. What makes you so special that you don't have to?

http://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-Comprehensive-Herpetocultural-Library/dp/1882770706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258068124&sr=1-1

Teddy Roosevelt
11-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Not to be snippy, but we've all bought the book and done our research. What makes you so special that you don't have to?

http://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-Comprehensive-Herpetocultural-Library/dp/1882770706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258068124&sr=1-1

You're right, let me just materialize money out of thin air. I'm not questioning the accuracy, I just don't have the cash. Chill.

RobbiesCornField
11-12-2009, 06:34 PM
If you don't have the $15 for a book, what happens if, god forbid, your snake needs to go to the vet?

RosieReal
11-12-2009, 06:36 PM
about you wanting to feed your snake other things...No Honey. I know it seems kind of boring for them to eat nothing but mice...but trust me. It`s whats best. If you were to feed a cornsnake a lizard, it may never eat anything elce again...how expensive and difficult would that be for you? it would be pretty bad for me, i have no access to lizards under 30$.

anyway...as for the book thing...keep it in mind. you dont -have- to buy it, of course. It IS a good idea at some point, even when you become an expert someday, its a good book to own...christmas is comming, perhaps theres someone who needs gift ideas for you. :D

Welcome to the forum.

RosieReal
11-12-2009, 06:38 PM
If you don't have the $15 for a book, what happens if, god forbid, your snake needs to go to the vet?

Agreed. Also would like to add: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Theres alot of little things you may not think of asking that could cause problems for your snake that the book would cover. its accurate, and gives you a very solid base of appropriate information. You've alredy bought one book i know, but too bad it sounds like less than ideal.

starsevol
11-12-2009, 06:56 PM
If the book you have says to feed eggs to your snake, it is a pretty horrible book, imo.

In the past 13 months, 2 of my snakes have racked up over $700 in vet bills. I sadly lost them both.
And I read the Kathy's book cover to cover, and couldn't have prevented what happened. I was as prepared as a person could be.

If the cost of a book is too much for you....I hope your baby never needs a vet....

Teddy Roosevelt
11-12-2009, 07:12 PM
about you wanting to feed your snake other things...No Honey. I know it seems kind of boring for them to eat nothing but mice...but trust me. It`s whats best. If you were to feed a cornsnake a lizard, it may never eat anything elce again...how expensive and difficult would that be for you? it would be pretty bad for me, i have no access to lizards under 30$.

anyway...as for the book thing...keep it in mind. you dont -have- to buy it, of course. It IS a good idea at some point, even when you become an expert someday, its a good book to own...christmas is comming, perhaps theres someone who needs gift ideas for you. :D

Welcome to the forum.

Believe it or not, I completely forgot about christmas! Thanks for the reminder...

As for vet bills... All I can do is hope I won't need to get a rep vet, because I don't think there are any nearby and I don't have the money. If Boo got sick, the best I could offer him right now is a warm tank and fresh water until he passed... but I don't anticipate that being an issue.

All I need to know right now is:
Yes or no on crickets/worms as an occasional treat, yes or no on chicken or quail eggs as an occasional treat.

RosieReal
11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
No. Its the best answer.

Asbit
11-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm right there with Bethany...I have lost two snakes, the only difference is if I would have had Kathy Love's book before my snakes came home, instead of relying on pet store information, one of them would still be alive.

The one snake died before it could make it to it's booked vet appt so it cost me it's purchase price of $189. The other snake did see the vet (3 hrs away) several times to the tune of $800 + (purchase price, gas and vet bills).

Since ordering her book 1 week after purchasing my first 2 snakes, I have also added at least 4 others. Not all at once, but as I could free up a spare $15-$20. They have proved invaluable.

Not trying to be rude, just stating a fact that unfortunately to many people seem to conveniently over look. Pet ownership is not just the novelty of the "cool" pet but the "responsibility" of being able to take proper care of it including provide medical attention if needed.

RosieReal
11-12-2009, 07:22 PM
i have a whole bookshelf of aquarium books...about the fish, about the equipment...i dont know. i feel better if i have books to rely on...my internet is spotty at best, and i'd hate to need info and not be able to get it.

danielle
11-12-2009, 07:42 PM
The book is an amazing resource no doubt, but its kinda hard to kill a corn hence why their great starter snakes. Internet searches and asking qustions on this forum when your unsure are also great resources. You should have a vet fund for those just incase times, but honestly if you acquired your corn from an honest good breeder, provide proper husbandry, and stick to a diet of rodents every 7-10 days your pretty good to go:)

Teddy Roosevelt
11-12-2009, 07:51 PM
No. Its the best answer.
The book is an amazing resource no doubt, but its kinda hard to kill a corn hence why their great starter snakes. Internet searches and asking qustions on this forum when your unsure are also great resources. You should have a vet fund for those just incase times, but honestly if you acquired your corn from an honest good breeder, provide proper husbandry, and stick to a diet of rodents every 7-10 days your pretty good to go
Alright, thank you both.

RosieReal
11-12-2009, 08:01 PM
no worries. now i want to see pics of your baby.:D

Teddy Roosevelt
11-12-2009, 08:52 PM
no worries. now i want to see pics of your baby.:D

Unfortunately he never sits still for a second when I handle him and he stays in his little coconut house all day... but maybe when he's a little less shy! Curse accurate names!!

He's an anery and right now he looks a little brown but that's because he's due to shed any day now. When I got him from a very nice local breeder he was black and grey! I watched him eat for the first time today... I was worried he wouldn't take it since he's been nervous and he's in blue, but he spent about a minute trying to escape then abruptly gobbled it down like "fine, I'll eat if you let me out of here!" Then he sat over his heater buried in the aspen with just his little head poking out, it was adorable...

Asbit
11-12-2009, 09:47 PM
They are real little heart warmers that's for sure!!

RosieReal
11-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Yep. They just coil right around there and squeeeeeze the love out. lol