PDA

View Full Version : feeding with anoles?

feeding with anoles?

autumn75
11-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I have a hatchling corn going on 7 weeks who hasn't eaten. The local pet store downtown just got some anoles in and I'm thinking about checking them out tonight as a possible feeder for my corn or to use to scent a pinkie with.

What size can a hatchling eat and do you offer them live to the corn?

Do you freeze the anole and just offer part of it thawed and warmed?

autumn75
11-13-2009, 10:12 AM
One more question.... can a live anole hurt a baby corn?

airenlow
11-13-2009, 10:32 AM
I would freeze the Anole and just sent pinky parts with it. All the Anoles I have seen are upwards of 10 grams...way too big for a hatchling.

autumn75
11-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Can you refreeze the anole after thawing and using it to scent pinkie parts so you can use it several times (if need be)?

airenlow
11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
You can just cut a small piece off of the frozen Anole and thaw it with the mouse. Then rub it all over the pinky or attach it somehow...

wax32
11-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't worry about a hatchling 7 weeks old not eating... Make sure your husbandry is correct, that he has fresh water and eventually he should eat. You can try the scenting thing, but just know it isn't time to start freaking out yet. :D

vanderkm
11-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Some lines of corns seem to prefer lizard scented and you can simply kill the anole, freeze it and rub the warmed pinky on the anole (evenn frozen) before offering it to the snake. We have had an anole in the freezer for over 5 years now - still works fine. It is best to rub quite firmly against the grain of the anole skin to get good scenting and don't handle the pinky too much after scenting before offering it.

It is preferable to kill and freeze the anole - freezing may reduce the risk of parasite transmission from a wild caught reptile to your corn baby.